What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Beautiful drinks in some lovely glassware Shelly and Jim! smile.png I don't remember making the Peralta before and it looks/sounds great. Adding to the list.

Marc is right, there were lots of notable features and interesting ingredients at Smuggler's Cove. I can't believe he didn't mention the Hellfire Tincture and the Pine Tree liqueur or whatever that was. Good stuff.

Chris, we got the Barbados rum in your honor and I toasted the health of your child in the womb. Glad you know that rum (and even its makers), and kind of figured you would. I really enjoyed it. They say they have 300 rums, some of which are in the vault for special initiates and celebrities only. I got the tasting card with the first 20 needed to join the Rumbustion Society as a Disciple of the Cove, but the St. Nicholas was not on it so it didn't count. Oh well, better go back again sometime....

Jasper's Corner Tap & Kitchen just recently opened in Union Square and is a nice simple layout without a lot of pretension. Their gimmick is good beer and beer cocktails, but they don't take it too seriously, and their cocktail list is nicely put together. We were assisted by the man running the bar, Kevin Diedrich, who just left another hot SF spot, The Burritt Room, and he was helpful and very cool. I started with a Belgian Sucker Punch, which I think was Duvel Green, Plymouth Gin and a bit of lemon/lemon wheel. It tasted like a beer, but the sucker punch is the extra kick from the gin. It was fine but Marc's Weissen Sour -- a whiskey sour with bourbon and then a floater of Hoegarden wheat beer -- was very tasty although it should have come with a stirrer or straw so that Marc would not have slurped off most of the beer in his first sip. Marc said he was interested in trying something with the Gran Classico bitters, so Kevin poured us a taste and then whipped up something with it. I can't recall what it was but it was tasty. I had a rye/applejack/benedictine/yellow chartreuse drink from their menu called a Grand Promenade and it was great.

The last feature of our evening was meeting Camper English, a cocktail blogger found at http://www.alcademics.com/. He sat down near us and was chatting with Kevin. His article about Jasper's was where I heard about it and got curious. He was pleasant enough and we chatted about the menu and his impending trip to Poland to check out Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka's distillery. It was fun to rub elbows with the cocktail cognoscenti.

Come to town more often, HC cocktailians!

Sounds like a lot of fun! My next two trips are to S. Carolina and Nebraska... needless to say, I would much rather be heading to SF.

new bulletin board software isn't playing nice with my mobile posting, but some of the beers I've been into lately are:

The Bruery Provisions Batch #300 Tripel...this one went over very well with my friends...

The Bruery Provisions Bierbauch Smoked Maibock...not a Maibock fan, but this is my favorite one...

both of the above were oaked...

Alpine Exponential Hoppiness...woah...I may be looking to trade for more...exquisite Imperial IPA....

New Holland Farmhouse Hatter...again...$4.99's hard to pass up...

more Moloko...

Boulevard Double Wide...

more Cane & Ebel...

Shmaltz Barrel Aged Human Blockhead...very limited amount made it to Indy...huzzah...

& I've got a Shmaltz/Terrapin collab to get to...

cheers...

A big thanks to Jim for the idea of peppercorn infused vodka. I had some neat when we got home from work, and followed that with Bloody Mary's for Debbie, a friend and I. Excellent stuff.

Moved to a Manhattan after dinner of grilled pork loin and corn on the cob.

Glad you and Debbie like it Mike. Learned about it from eating at Nikolai's roof. It is a house specialty so I forced the exceedingly complex recipe out of them.

Oops, I meant North Carolina (Winston-Salem).

Can't help you much there. Maybe Dan has some ideas.

Decided Shelly's Peralta looked good so started with one of those.

e264446b.jpg

A bit sweet, likely because the grapefruit is very sweet. I will try another with less grapefruit and more lemon juice.

The restaurant I liked in winston-salem closed. My mom still lives in winston tho. There used to be a good bar in greensboro called the rhinoceros, but it's members and guests only.

When I'm there, we usually eat at Village Tavern, right off WFU campus. It's not great, but it's decent. Other than that, there's good BBQ down there, pig pickin's near the coliseum.

http://www.ziggyrock.net/ is re-opening. It was the music bar I used to work at, but it closed, and moved. No idea if it's any good now. They weren't a cocktail bar tho :)

Mostly, NC sucks, so I left.

The restaurant I liked in winston-salem closed. My mom still lives in winston tho. There used to be a good bar in greensboro called the rhinoceros, but it's members and guests only.

When I'm there, we usually eat at Village Tavern, right off WFU campus. It's not great, but it's decent. Other than that, there's good BBQ down there, pig pickin's near the coliseum.

http://www.ziggyrock.net/ is re-opening. It was the music bar I used to work at, but it closed, and moved. No idea if it's any good now. They weren't a cocktail bar tho :)

Mostly, NC sucks, so I left.

Cannot wait to go! ;)

fToasting Tyll's birthday with a

2006-front.jpg?enlarged×=1.25

*disclosure* actually not the Les Noistiers because I am saving that for another time which really means i can't find it in my locker so I am having the Sonoma Coast now.

Edited by Augsburger

Yesterday I did take Shelly's advice and used more rye in the Second Peralta, I also switched to the Willet which is higher proof and swapped the proportions of grapefruit and lemon juice. Much better balance, less sweet, moar bite.

Now a bloody brilliant Bonal and Rye

8f08aeb1.jpg