What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

a new song by the Gathering -- it's really pretty

I gotta say, and I know this is heresy, but I do not miss Anneke's departure one bit.  Silje is every bit as good as her.  Songs like "Heroes For Ghosts" and "I Can See Four Miles" can go toe to toe with anything Anneke has done.  The band's material got to be a bit boring post HTMAP?, and Silje was just the shot in the arm they needed.

That and Anneke's solo stuff just isn't that good :(

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Not so much heresy as ... wrong.  :)  I'll have to disagree that if_then_else or Black Light District were anything other than top form for them.  But I really like the post-Anneke stuff quite a bit, too, and continue to buy their stuff blindly without disappointment.

That "that said" said, I think "Afterwords" and "Echoes Keep Growing" are even better -- two of the best things I've heard from them in years, and really look forward to the new album.

Perhaps the word "boring" was a bit hasty, as I do very much like Black Light District and a few songs from if_then_else, so you have a point there.  This new album will definitely be a day one purchase for me as well.  They are ridiculously consistent compared to just about any other band these days.  I cannot think of any other band that I like that are still in top form and have so many albums under their belt... especially after replacing their star singer.  That's pretty much unheard of.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Mazzy Star, Seasons of Your Day -- first listen on NPR -- first album in 17 years!?!?  I think they out MBV'd MBV.

Chvrches, The Bones of What You Believe -- another NPR first listen

Two I've really been looking forward to... I love the Chvrches EP and can't wait for their full-length.

I've been really enjoying Chealsea Wolfe.  Apokalypsis had only gotten casual listens on Spotify, but this is not really music that lends itself to casual listening.  I've been able to dive into her newest, Pain is Beauty a little more and really, really like it.  Not what one would call uplifting, but it is absolutely stunning.  I'm going all in this morning...

Apokalypsis

a1674916295_10.jpg

Pain is Beauty

a3637670072_10.jpg