MacBook Pro Advice

Looking at getting a 13" MacBook Pro, and am trying to decide which one to get...

2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

or

2.66 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, which can be had for $260 more.

Is the performance bump between the 2.4 & 2.66 worth while for $215, knowing the 250 GB to 320 GB HD upgrade is a $45 upcharge?

Thoughts? Input?

And no, I don't want to wait for the rumored new model in a few months. I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lower speed model with 128GB SSD upgrade comes in $14 more than faster model. I'm using educational discount (as nearly anyone can), but similar otherwise. You're losing space, but likely gaining speed. Course you can do the SSD thing separately for cheaper.

As a testament to the power of SSD, I just got an MBA 11.6" and it FEELS like the fastest computer I've ever owned. And of course, it's a 1.6ghz processor. I'd get the stripped down one with the smallest drive you can get, and upgrade the ram and hard drive yourself.

As a testament to the power of SSD, I just got an MBA 11.6" and it FEELS like the fastest computer I've ever owned. And of course, it's a 1.6ghz processor. I'd get the stripped down one with the smallest drive you can get, and upgrade the ram and hard drive yourself.

Totally agree with that. Already ordered an SSD for the Mac Pro.

the SSD is the only thing to get. seriously.

The problem is that to get a reasonable amount of storage it's still prohibitively expensive for someone trying to shop the way that Ian is. The cheapest stock SSD option (128GB) is a $315 add and I don't think he wants to be tearing into his virgin macbook and swaping out the HD himself which would only save about $100 based on the last time I shopped SSDs.

I never felt not having a DVD drive built-in was a serious limitation on my net book. With DVD sharing in OSx it is even less of a limitation on the MBA, and as Dan said, for those rare times, there are external drives. That said, I still have a floppy drive on the lab PC :D

Edited by morphsci

I don't watch too many blu-rays on my pc, but I sure do rip them for the entertainment in the main room. SSD has been a godsend that I've wished for since 1998. I bought the first 7200 rpm portable drive in 2003 from hitachi. The simple OCZ SSD in my pc is the greatest bottle neck eliminator to come to the computer in a decade in my opinion.