Grado PS500

postjack

The hf2 is a nice alternative if you are not into the rs1 or don't want to pony up for a ps1 or hp1000. Like Jacob the hp1000 is my favorite can making any other Grado pretty irrelevant to me outside the random taste for some rs1 flavor.

Ehh, different strokes. I'd rather get naked and slide down a bannister made of razor blades than listen to the RS-1 flavor. Far, far too shrill for me.

Ehh, different strokes. I'd rather get naked and slide down a bannister made of razor blades than listen to the RS-1 flavor. Far, far too shrill for me.

Odd. Whether it be the particular vintage or that I've used exclusively flats, they have never sounded shrill to me. If anything, at times they can be quite fuzzy, in a warm, Teddy bear cuddly kind of way.

I am a flats only user, but I have never had a problem with highs with any of my Grados. Perhaps it is because I am using a MAD Super, the flats, or both, but I am very happy. Not neutral obviously, but for the music I listen to, it's mighty satisfying.

Since I have HF-2s already, I have no interest in this new phone, but I have to wonder about Grado's product line sometimes. If I was John, my product line would be something like this:

SR-60 -> SR-225 -> SR-325 (It has a following) -> RS-2 -> RS-1 -> PS-1 (it really needs to come back) -> A true studio phone like the HP-1000 series

All the other phones just seem unnecessary to me.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

awesome another opportunity to talk about what grados I like!

SR225 - best of the budget

RS-1 with flats

HF-2 with bowls (i really expected to like them with flats, but no matter how often i tried they just sound better with bowls)

HP-2 with flats (only an asshole would listen to them with bowls)

and now the PS1000, the only headphone I currently own. I can appreciate why people hate it, but I really like it. For some reason it makes me want to listen to lots of music, and thats the truest sign I like a piece of audio equipment.

oh and here is another quote from the review, further proof that Levi is an asshole:

"Sure, the PS 1000s are the most detailed cans I know of, and are every bit as nuanced as the Stax Omega Electrostats."

I'm a very happy PS1000 owner but this statement is ludicrous. hell its worse then that its Ludacris. "stay the fuck up out my biz nasssss"

I love the HP1/2. Why not just re-introduce the HP1/2 again instead of releasing the PS-500?

The HP-1000 series and the PS-1 would do really well if released again, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

That review was a pile of crap. It's sad to think some people might lend some credence to that garbage.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

The HP series would entail having a driver manufacture make one to spec as I am almost entirely positive Grado does not manufacture drivers.

I'd love to see it but for a limited audience is it economically viable

Well, John may have to swallow his pride a bit to release the HP series headphones, but I'm sure it will be very successful. Heck, I'll buy one.

The HP-1000 series and the PS-1 would do really well if released again, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

That review was a pile of crap. It's sad to think some people might lend some credence to that garbage.

Wasn't that the reviewer that several years ago went on and raved about the Markl modded LA7000 headphones as being the pinnacle of headphones at the time?? Anyways, I always find it funny seeing professional reviewers write about headphones since they really don't know much about them.

I love the HP1/2. Why not just re-introduce the HP1/2 again instead of releasing the PS-500?

Sometimes I think John Grado has a major chip on his shoulder when it comes to reproducing his uncle's flagship cans. It's almost like it's a competitive thing. John saved the business with his wooden cartridges & headphones, and he refuses to make a solid metal headphone (other than the OOP PS-1's originally meant for a limited German professional market). Dunno if that's actually true or not, but that's how it seems sometimes.

Wasn't that the reviewer that several years ago went on and raved about the Markl modded LA7000 headphones as being the pinnacle of headphones at the time?? Anyways, I always find it funny seeing professional reviewers write about headphones since they really don't know much about them.

Perhaps, I am not sure. In my experience, I find most reviewers that work for a published company are master wordsmiths and salespeople, but rarely know their head from their asses when it comes to actually knowing the product and the rest of the field. I find that the respected hobbyists (many of you guys) know quite a bit more than just about any paid reviewer. Once I read "the breath of life", I stop reading. Anyone who says that needs to be punched in the nuts.

Sometimes I think John Grado has a major chip on his shoulder when it comes to reproducing his uncle's flagship cans. It's almost like it's a competitive thing. John saved the business with his wooden cartridges & headphones, and he refuses to make a solid metal headphone (other than the OOP PS-1's originally meant for a limited German professional market). Dunno if that's actually true or not, but that's how it seems sometimes.

I have never met the man, but I have the same opinion. I quite like the wooden Grados, but to deny enthusiasts the PS-1 or anything from the HP-1000 days is insane. It would make money, and there is no R&D to speak of. I can respect that he wants to look forward and keep the company small, but there is a market for those products, and die-hard fans are practically screaming for them. Give the people what they want.

I can say pretty confidently that as long as Joe Grado is alive and still doing his own thing with his mics and hp1000 upgrades, John will never release anything resembling a hp1000. I would state that it's probably more out of respect for his uncle than a competitive thing (though I would not dismiss somewhat of a chip on johns shoulder, heck Joe in conversation told me he never ever listened to any of johns stuff and won't bother).

Didn't John mention hating the manufacture of the HP-1000 (in the long Head-Fi interview)?

If the PS500 sounds anything like the PS-1 or the HP-1000, I might be interested... I need a backup for my HP-2. The Alessandro MS-Pro is also in the running, especially because of its light weight.

Didn't John mention hating the manufacture of the HP-1000 (in the long Head-Fi interview)?

If the PS500 sounds anything like the PS-1 or the HP-1000, I might be interested... I need a backup for my HP-2. The Alessandro MS-Pro is also in the running, especially because of its light weight.

The ps500 sounding anything like the ps1 or hp1000 will be akin to how the ps1000 was supposed to sound like the ps1. Unfortunately that was not the case.

I do think there is some genuine competitiveness but it's been stated by closer sources than me that John and Joe do have a very mutual respect for each other, moreso from John towards Joe. I think there are some practical issues that also prevent John from doing anything like a hp1000, specifically sourcing the driver and manufacturing costs. If they currently charge $700 for rs1 build quality and $1000+ for gs1000 and ps1000 build quality, what would a hp1000 potentially cost?