Jazz recommendations please

shellylh

I have been getting into jazz lately and was looking for recommendations. Here are some of the albums that I have and like a lot. Looking for more of this type of jazz (not sure how to classify what I like - maybe modern jazz?).

Dave Holland - Extensions

John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette - Gateway

John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette - Homecoming

Joshua Redman - Compass

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Charlie Haden - In Montreal

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert and other albums of his

Don't really like big band sounding jazz or jazz with voices.

Suggestions please!

Looks like you're enjoying Miles Davis and the musicians who worked with him, so perhaps you may enjoy some of his earlier output like Birth of the Cool, Bagsgroove, Steamin', Cookin', Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud... I strongly suggest you 'Round About Midnight from that era. Try to get the newer version with a bonus CD with the debut live performance of the main tune.

If you like those albums and Coltrane's play, then investigate his discography. See what you think of A Love Supreme, and from there we can move backwards or afterwards on his output.

However if you prefer more modern jazz the way to go is investigating Miles 2nd Quintet works (ESP, Nefertiti, Filles de Kilimanjaro, etc.) specially In a Silent Way, which is a great album, just the precursor of Bitches Brew. If you like these then you'll very probably like Tribute to Jack Johnson.

By the musicians who worked with miles for those albums you will like:

Chick Corea & Return to Forever - "Return to Forever" and "Light as a Feather"

Joe Zawinul went to Weather Report, which produced a lot of good stuff. Try the 1971 "Weather Report" and the 1977 "Heavy Weather" to see how you like them.

Depending on how you like these, what works and what not, we can recommend you moving in one direction or another.

Take Five - Dave Brubek - A classic, and terribly iconic of the Cool Jazz movement, only more unique with very unusual time signatures.

Street Dreams - Lyle Mays - (All the Jazz guys go "WFT izat!?) Pat Metheny's keyboard dude gone to some other planet. Very environmental music.

MOG.com is your friend. Search for someone you like and play the radio station allowing other people like your seed artist.

Echo the MOG and also the Dave Brubeck Take Five recommendations.

If you like piano, Bill Evans is a great possibility. A little more "personality" IMO than Keith Jarrett, though I happen to like him too.

Some of the Swedish Jazz I've found quite lively and fun, even the old audiophile standby Jazz At The Pawnshop. I picked up a couple Arne Domnerus (he played on JatP) albums, and although it's been a while, they still are pretty good.

Some of my top favorites that meet your criteria:

Jimmy Cobb Quartet "Jazz in the Key of Blue" (24/96 HDTracks)

Peter Asplund Quartet "As Knights Concur"

Bill Evans "Waltz With Debbie"

Herbie Hancock "Gershwin's World"

Guinea Pig "Kool Cats" (so far only found on eMusic.com)

Anything by Esbjorn Svensson Trio (E.S.T.)

Anything by Keiko Matsui

I wouldn't go straight to A Love Supreme with Coltrane. Giant Steps is a good first foray into Coltrane.

There's a lot of directions you could take once you get into Miles. Here are a few options:

Eric Dolphy Out to Lunch (Avant Garde)

Dexter Gordon Go (Hard Bop)

Canonball Adderly Somethin Else (Hard Bop/Cool Jazz)

Lee Morgan Sidewinder (Modal Jazz)

Horace Silver Song For My Father (Latin/Funk/Bossa Nova)

Bill Evans Alone (Post-Bop/Introspective)

The New Tony Williams Lifetime Believe It (Jazz Fusion)

61Lh7VdWYsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Herbie Hancock: Quartet

With Wynton Marsalis, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams.

I don't listen to a lot of jazz, but these guys in particular make me want to listen to more. There are a lot of "What the fuck are they doing?! How did they keep it together?!" moments on this record, which I really like.

You're getting good recommendations already, but here are a couple more for the list.

On par and contemporaneous with KOB: The Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson, with an amazing lineup; Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley with Miles Davis; Ornette Coleman -- Something Else!!! and Shape of Jazz to Come

Contemporary jazz to consider: Vijay Iyer Trio, Bad Plus, Christian McBride, Bill Frissell, Brad Mehldau, Geri Allen, SF Jazz Collective, Charlie Hunter, Dave Holland, Trio M

One of Al's recommendation is one of of my favorites. The Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson

All time favorite is probably Dave Brubeck at Carnegie Hall. Fantastic recording and great playing.

Another is Duke's Big 4 on Pablo. Excellent recording.

Sure thing Shelly, just PM me your addy. When you're done, if you could pass them on to Dan I'd appreciate it. No hurries, I've seen it plenty.

It's on Netflix streaming, too.

Thanks for the offer Tyll but I have Netflix so I'll just go this route. Thanks for the suggestion though!