shellylh

Whisk[e]y-Case

5 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

"Glenvagulin".  

Sounds like a cream for yeast infection. Do not want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know I've probably asked this question before, but I'm buying some new glasses for the house and I'm wondering what to go with for whisky consumption.

Glencairn, Riedel-shape, tumbler, all of the above?

I have one of the Riedel's now and I really like the thin glass, but I don't find the shape all that visually pleasing and as a predominantly wine drinker I have no idea where to grip a glass with such a short stem.

Glencairns and some Rocks/Old fashioned glasses would be a good start.

• Like 2

learn the art of the bottle lip. no glasses nor shirts required.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/26/2018 at 5:57 PM, Aura said:

learn the art of the bottle lip. no glasses nor shirts required.

^^ this... 

... and Glencairn's (lots of Glencairn's) -- They are not the best glass that I have ever tried - but they are probably the best overall balance of nose (mine fits mostly in the glass) - palate delivery (whisky makes it in my mouth, most of the time) - and durability (I have had them bounce off concrete floor and I grabbed it out of the air on the up travel).  

... and they are everywhere - one of the main reasons that I use them is consistency - if I go to a tasting or event - they have them too - so at least the glass is the same for all whisky. 

cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mikey, your friends website is really cool! Just looking at the Macallan catalog is overwhelming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I'm quickly discovering that purchasing whisky is nearly as much fun as drinking it. Those enablers at K&L certainly don't make it easy to say no with their reasonable prices and delivery right to my office. Our local costco also has a pretty decent selection with costco-like prices.

Bought a couple or Norlan glasses and copitas to mess around with. I dislike how much contact my fingers make with the bowl of glencairns, so it'll be interesting to see how these two perform given they take different approaches to solving that problem.

norlan.jpg

Copita.jpg.d3c418f9543382349f308e1490cbd

• Like 4

The Norlan is an interesting glass (we have a set) - It is a good design - I didn't like the way the lip hits my lip (inset joke). We use them for other drinks now. 

whisky is fun!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

The Norlan is an interesting glass (we have a set) - It is a good design - I didn't like the way the lip hits my lip (inset joke). We use them for other drinks now. 

whisky is fun!

I'm bummed I only started really getting in to it after you left the bay area!

• Like 1

tru dat.. would have liked to share. 

but no worries - I left a few minions around the bay area for you to play with.. :bottle:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Koval single barrel rye whisky?  Flaviar keeps recommending it based on my cart.

The guy at Lady's Liquors recommended Sagamore Spirit Vintner's Finish and High West Distillery the 36th Vote Barreled Manhattan (made with rye whisky and vermouth).  Worth trying?

He also wanted me to try a cask strength something, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet (possibly not ever).

I’d pass on Koval, just too expensive for what it is. Not sure on the others as I’ve never had them but High West is generally solid.

Where a Bottle of Whisky Costs 16 Years of Wages - Bloomberghttps://apple.news/ACgIYsCa5TYaQOT2bXCBvVQ

☹️