RMAF 2012--October 12-14--Denver, CO

The Monkey

Okay....so I broke my liver last night, had a few too many before Dinny arrived at 10pm, and then ahad a few too many with him. Felt like shit today, so I just wandered around checking shit ut to see if anything excited me enough to report on it tomorrow.

Um...well, the V-Moda M-100 sounds damn good.

This one's gonna hurt: Jerry Harvey had a brainstorm and completely changed the way he does crossovers and bores. So now, the JH13 has even more awesome. No shit.

Noel Lee was here today. He's now got gold rims on his Segway. I was asked if I'd like to interview him. I. just. can't. do. it. He's such a douchebag.

Oh, I did listen to the new post-Dre Monster cans....meh. Not horrible, but the bling factor is repugnant in the extreme.

Jack Woo's got a purdy little new tube headphone amp. Just cute.

Todd brought lots of beer. smile.png

Nighty night, I'm toast.

Edited by Tyll Hertsens
  • Like 1

Well looks my plans for GABF are now off and I'm scalping the tickets. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to drive in for Friday and Saturday for RMAF. Anyone with a suite to share?

Wish I had checked in here sooner - I have an extra bed at the Marriott since Bluto couldn't make it. It's still not too late if anyone needs a place to crash.

Having fun so far, without setting up a rig. It's so much more relaxed this way, but I miss the days when a bunch of us would bring gear for people to listen to. There is so much stuff here now, that there really isn't much I could have brought that was already at another table.

I've brought a bunch of headphones in a backpack to listen to various gear as I feel like it. Just got finished having a few beers with Jerry Harvey and his evil minions (Doug Leavy, Jamie, Zach and oops I forgot the new guy's name). Earlier I went to have Indian food with Jack Wu, Fang Bian, Ray Samuels, Paul (Fang's manager), and this guy Steve (with Ray).

hope you guys have a great time I came down with a stomach virus the night before my flight so I am a no go for this one. I am dying to hear the changes JH have made to their in ears and may have to drive to Apopka FL to hear them. Hope you all have a great time and wish badly that I could have made it.

Yeah, well, you're new. We're a bunch of mutual high-fi addict enablers, here. My wallet don't want to hear no mo', neither, but I still do.

My wallet made that post. Damn you, wallet!

I'm making this one: BRING IT.

That's all I need, to be around more enablers. Wait a minute, that's why I came here in the first place...

Well...a little more than a year ago, I measured all the JH custom line with the demo units HeadRoom has. I noticed a lot of shifts in phase, mostly in the cross-over region. I notice this on most multi-driver IEMs to some degree, but I also have to say that some that I very much like (JH13, Shure 535) have it a lot. It's common in speakers that have higher then first order cross-overs. JA has a good article on time coherent speakers vs. ones with phase shift. But he also says that he can't find any correlation between reviewers liking or disliking speakers of these types.

Anyway, I decided not to publish the JH custom measurements 'cuz I didn't understand them, and I didn't to raise a lot of unanswerable questions about Jerry's product. And they sound good.

So...at the show Jerry comes up to me and says, " Tyll, I had a complete rethink. Everything I thought was wrong. I've completely time aligned my drivers to within 100uSec." I don't think he remembers me talking to him about the phase stuff, but it might have been one of the seeds. It matters not ....

The Freqphase JH13 sounded even moar betterer than the standard ones...clearly. sounded. better.

Some of the lushy gooieness of the regular one is gone, but it's replace with sublime transparency.

I'm working on a collaborative custom in-ear review with the some of the InnerFidelity writer team. Between us we have a lot of customs, but we need a common reference. Jerry has agreed to do the new Freq JH13 for four of us.

On other fronts: I'm back. The bike was packed and I was rolling out of the Hyatt parking lot at 4AM. Arrived home at 5:55PM 703 miles later in Bozeman. Great ride, windy as fuck but my FJR just cuts though it, gray skys all day made it less fatiguining on the eyes, rode in drizzle for about a half hour, perfect.

Best shot of the day:

P1010010-L.jpg

So...at the show Jerry comes up to me and says, " Tyll, I had a complete rethink. Everything I thought was wrong. I've completely time aligned my drivers to within 100uSec." I don't think he remembers me talking to him about the phase stuff, but it might have been one of the seeds. It matters not ....

The Freqphaseâ„¢ JH13 sounded even moar betterer than the standard ones...clearly. sounded. better.

Some of the lushy gooieness of the regular one is gone, but it's replace with sublime transparency.

Damn, that is freakin' cool!

Eager to hear what you and the IF guys think of it straight out of a smart phone, unamped.