HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Mike, JP, Raffy, and Vicki have been pissing me off with all this bike mania, so I decided to join them in the madness.  Picking up my Scott SUB 10 tomorrow.  It's an "urban" bike - don't you love marketing?  Should be just right for me - I want to ride for exercise, don't need off road capability (been there, done that, have scars to prove it), and don't need to be fastest,.  Also appeals to the tech geek in me - Gates Carbon Drive, Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub, Shimano hydraulic discs.  

Watch out, people, I'm comin' for you, and I'm coming now!

scott_sub_10_zps6429b9f8.jpg

• Like 2

Watch out, people, I'm comin' for you, and I'm coming now!

Ruh roh!

I have the Raleigh completely torn down to the bare frame right now, and finally decided to fix what a machine shop fucked up 30+ years ago. I had Raleigh replace the fork, and when it arrived, the crown race seat needed to be machined. Back in the pre-internet days, and a fairly new LBS, they didn't have the crown race cutting tool to handle it. Couple that with the fact that I had no idea about ISO (26.4mm) and JIS (27mm) fork races. Mine was a 26.4mm Campy. I asked for a "loose" press fit. It came back machined down to < 26mm. I guess that is loose :)  Shim stock roughly took care of the problem in this time.

Sent the fork up to Chris Kvale in the twin cities. He has it rebrazed and machined correctly:

post-431-0-48895600-1361464986_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm out a Luna Rosa's having breakfast in the middle of my first outing in many weeks. There's a nasty headwind, but I feel good. I'm still in the lowest possible gear, basically just spinning, but the than a little shin splinty feel, this is the best I've felt on the bike since November. I start formal physical therapy on Monday. I got a new workman's comp re, who is actually working with me, and he allowed me to pick my own PT, one I could never afford on my own, who doesn't give the actual therapy to office staff, and he's also a cyclist. Hoping to get my muscles back in my calf, and maybe sneak in some hip flexor work on the side. I've been doing Computrainer stuff 2x a week. Yesterday was hill work. My hip flexors are super tight. Bah. Anyway, my steak omelet is here. I'm signing off, still slow but happy.

• Like 3

Glad to hear you are back out there, Vicki.  Also glad you have good pt person to work with.  Just remember, slow but steady.  Now that I've joined Team Bike FL, I look forward to riding with you.

Yay, Gene!!!!!  You aren't one of those evil mountain bike guys, though, are you?  

BTW, is it bad that I just bought a second car so that my bikes can ride inside?  

• Like 1

How did I miss that post?  Cool bike, Gene.  I like it.

Speaking of cool looking bikes, I'm taking the liberty of posting a pic of our resident lurker's (Parris) Kirk.

8488327250_b737aaee34.jpg

I love that bike.

I'm also in a quandary.  I've been so excited for mine, and I've been told late March/early April to start the process, but I also can't quite see dropping money on my dream bike if I really won't be able to ride again much beyond what I'm doing now.   I'm still keeping the hope.  

BTW (I seem to like posting a lot in a row today), Mike, Raffy, and John were about a half a mile away from me on A1A when I was at Luna Rosa.  Sucks I missed them.  The bigger suck had to be for them as they had a good 15-20 miles going home in a nasty headwind.  That'll teach you for not calling me!

• Like 1

BTW (I seem to like posting a lot in a row today), Mike, Raffy, and John were about a half a mile away from me on A1A when I was at Luna Rosa. Sucks I missed them. The bigger suck had to be for them as they had a good 15-20 miles going home in a nasty headwind. That'll teach you for not calling me!

Sucks we missed you. Sucked worse riding back into the wind. It was brutal. So much so we are riding by me tomorrow.

I'm also in a quandary.  I've been so excited for mine, and I've been told late March/early April to start the process, but I also can't quite see dropping money on my dream bike if I really won't be able to ride again much beyond what I'm doing now.   I'm still keeping the hope.

See if you can get a dated extension, like 12+ months etc. For that level of frame, it would do you good to put in 6-10k mi. to really find out what kind of rider you'll end up as. Edited by pigmode

It doesn't really matter how much you ride. But it does matter how much you enjoy the time you ride.