Anyone have Headphile Vixens with Grado SR325is drivers

sbelyo

• 5 weeks later...

I had a pair of Vixens with PS1000 drivers.  One thing I can say for sure is that you should change the ear pads immediately.  The ones that Larry puts on them sound terrible.  I lived with mine for about a year before I figured out that T-1 pads make a night and day difference.  At the time I had J$ pads also.  The T-1 pads sounded best.  Before experiencing this for myself, I would not have believed the difference.  Trust me.  Get rid of those pieces of crap ear pads.  They should be illegal.  FYI, I bought the T-1 ear pads from Todd Green @ TTVJ Audio.

Aside from that, I think that you can expect a slightly smaller sound stage from the Vixen with a little bump in the bass (compared to stock Grados).  Still very good imo, just a little different.  The Vixens are a lot more comfortable than Grados though.

Also, just want to say, If I can help anyone here on head-case, post something, and I will reply a month later.  Sorry about the delayed post.  Hope this helps.

Larry is crazy.  He destroyed countless Sony MDR-CD3000s as well as HP-1000s to create his phones.  I once owned a tricked out Sony MDR-CD3000 with exotic woodcups.  I later ditched those cups b/c I like the sound of the stock CD3K with upgrade cable better.  Guys...I miss the CD3K....those are wonderful headphones.  I remember trading my minty CD3k for a Canon G6 once....that was a stupid deal!

Edited by purk

Around $400-500 for a well used pair. I think they go up to $700 or $800 on a near NOS one. Seriously though, a recabled CD3000 is really good.

Thanks, I didn't know they were going that expensive. I have a pair in very good condition, not recabled. I find them in the bright side of things, it'd be interesting to see them measured. IMO the brightness comes more from some delayed energy in the treble than from a response peak. With good ancillaries and recordings they sound pretty good and enjoyable. For my taste, which is probably defective ;D

IMO the brightness comes more from some delayed energy in the treble than from a response peak.

¿Que?

I mean, I agree with everything else you said, especially the it's bright but I like it part, and sounds better with better ampd and such, I'm just not sure I agree with that one sentence as to why.

Sent from mah phone-blet via Tapatalk

Because for the headphones I've had the chance to listen and to see measurements that have inconsistencies, the brightness due to frequency peaks shows in different ways than the one due to response peaks. Response peaks don't have a delay, some sort of echo effect which can be heard playing stuff at higher volumes.

I'm not saying their brightness is for resonance problem or delayed energy issues, just that to my ears, until measurements prove me wrong, I think the brightness is coming more likely for that than a pure response peak from the driver.

negative

Sovshiller liked them so I have my doubts...

They are not comparable to really good open headphones but heck they are considerably better than the Denon D7000 after a simple cable upgrade. Let's face it ...most closed dynamics under $1000 are a bit boommy.

Edited by purk