The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

I've been to a few Chinese replica towns, though regrettably not this one, and they are fascinating to me.  I have a few possible explanations:

1) Travel is popular in China, but Chinese is not a world language and travel is expensive.  Real Chinese people frequently ravel by tour bus at a breakneck pace, getting as many sites in as possible in a short span of time.  They eat as a large group at Chinese restaurants, have a Chinese tour guide, and go to say they've been there.  It's not unlike travel was in America in the 1950s, or so I've been led to believe.  Of course, this does not describe all Chinese travel, but it's quite popular.  If you're already turning France into a little mini China, what's the harm in making a little France instead?

2) China's economy is supported primarily by housing and public works projects.  A fake Champs-Élysées punctuated by a big replica Eiffel Tower satisfies both.  I imagine they build these in the hopes of bringing in wedding photo tourists, holidaymakers, and people wanting a second (or third, fourth, fifth, etc) home somewhere outside of the city.  Hangzhou, the larger city of which this is a district, can support this kind of development.  If it's going broke, it is simply because it sucks.

Totally forgot to respond to this.

My wife has gone on one of those trips with her friend around the Southwestern States, and she described it just like you did.  I am unclear of the "turning France into a little mini China" statement?  Are you saying that France is taking on some Chinese attributes, or did I misread you?

As far as developing areas to mimic other countries, if the people like it, go for it.

That's great, Dusty! Some of those AutoCorrects were so funny I forgot how pissed off I am that I've been up for 2 hours in pain. Laughing with a sore throat + clogged sinuses is dangerous, I think I couldn't breathe for a little bit, but that was well needed. I <3 DYAC. Quite possibly my favorite feature of the iPhone.

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon

Many of the pictures I post in Slow come from the randompictures RSS feed on LiveJournal. One of the former top contributors was a guy named Kevin who posted under the name John Mark Karr.  He was a kind of unstable guy, but he posted a lot of really strange and interesting pictures.  He was found in a coma on the 20th and died yesterday.  Randompictures will be a little less surreal from now on.

41tp44Z.jpg

vSsWZcx.jpg

Many of the pictures I post in Slow come from the randompictures RSS feed on LiveJournal. One of the former top contributors was a guy named Kevin who posted under the name John Mark Karr.  He was a kind of unstable guy, but he posted a lot of really strange and interesting pictures.  He was found in a coma on the 20th and died yesterday.  Randompictures will be a little less surreal from now on.

Condolences, Knucks.  Living in Santa Maria would make me (more) unstable. 

@Greg.  Why do you assume that the cheetah is a male?  Maybe some issues here. ;)

After witnessing that brain and eye damaging performance of Miley Cyrus last night I am anxiously awaiting the headline featuring her death from an overdose.  My hope is that the circus sideshow featured on the VMA's is not the future of music.  Not with my money you don't!

Oh, c'mon, it wasn't that bad.  I still can't stop thinking about her tongue.  Second only to Gene Simmons...but a lot prettier than Gene Simmons...

EDIT:  ...with the caveat that I'm single.  And a pervert.  And with the maturity of a 12-year-old (as I was reminded the other day).  So YMMV.

EDIT #2:  I figured out what all that tongue-lolling was about!  And it had nothing to do with Gene Simmons.  She was derpin'!  Twerkin' and derpin'!

I have to wonder, though -- was the tongue-lolling choreographed?  Were there exercises?