The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

lol, search engine.  Five years ago, I that the famous house from Ferris Bueller's Day Off was for sale.  It finally sold for $1M, well below the original $2.35M asking price.  Turns out it was a bit of a high falutin' fixer-upper.  

n5J5S6V.gif

qaodiOB.gif

msmK9yx.gif

kqRUlRg.gif

5CNHpv6.jpg

EUpIKFO.png

Qd4ZINi.png

w1cv5f7.jpg

The man behind @gselevator

zDFrQhH.jpg

1YTcKEi.jpg

tPah9RQ.jpg

A rack mounted TR-808. Ya don't see one of those every day.

b1FBhMD.jpg

Lisa Baker, 1966.

TqXwtvk.jpg

2NNJ6ag.jpg

FmmhVn1.jpg

Click for a better look.

Review on Amazon about a hammock I'm thinking about buying.  I've provided some highlights to prevent your boredom:

"It came with a bag, a couple poles, bends, and twistable knobs and was easy to assemble without tools (5 minutes).

I bet my dad I would sleep 1 week using the hanging hammock as a permanent bed for $10.

I slept in it by myself for a few days and loved it. Then with my girlfriend. She disliked sleeping together in the hammock since it felt smooshed. It also forced her to lay on her back- another unnatural position. But we really wanted to both love it. So I made it tighter, in order to reduce the curvature in the center which was causing hip/back pain when we were in spoon position. I felt better using the hammock as a bed. I felt more awake and could start the day. Having fun in it was also challenging AND interesting. But we broke it on the 5th night.

We turned on the lights to see our rumps had been dangling half an inch above the metal floor pole. We had bent and collapsed in one side's bend of the erect staffs. Despite our combined weight of 300lbs (well-below the safety specification of 440lbs). I have to return it now, or ask for a replacement bend. Have not decided. $140 back would be helpful.

I'm actually an Industrial Engineer graduate, I understand the hammock bed can handle constant weight. But repetitive, vigorous, and fun activities in the hammock will rapidly cause it to flex inwards... even at "safe" weights (We lasted 5 days @ 300lbs).

My recommendation: Mainly use for just one person. It isn't comfortable for two people. Also, don't even think about sex on it! I know it is tempting to try it... and it was fun... but choose a stronger design if you want to try it too!

Edit 8/15/2013
I got the replacement! Not much of a choice- I called for a refund but because I threw the box away with premature excitement, it was near impossible to refund. My father, a USPS Regional Postmaster, spent two weeks looking for this quirky sized box ~(110 X 47 X 43 inches). He was unsuccessful. I asked if Amazon would kindly ship us the box to return, they said no. Well, what can you do? Short of making a custom corrugated cardboard package myself, I had my hands cuffed.

I have been enjoying sleep since my girlfriend is currently on week-vacation. Normally, I am forced on IKEA when she is home, but for the last few days I can enjoy my hammock. In fact, she is hanging with pillow and blanket in my living room space as my permanent single bed while my IKEA full-sized foam mattress lays stripped in the other room.

Also, I assembled my ex-hammock outside for the family to use. (How chivalrous I am to give my family a hammock that is ready to collapse?).

Conclusion: Although this hammock is awesome for one person, its lifetime may be severely reduced with two persons. (If you do it in this hammock you were warned!) Great for relaxing, sleeping, thinking, swaying, zzzz....
I fantasize about using a hammock for my future kid/teenager's beds (It's unique, space-saving, ultra-comfortable, improves blood flow to brain to improve development, plus they won't be able to share the bed easily say if they hang out with the opposite sex.) or for ultra-comfort while reading a novel in a future book room.

I hope this is helpful!"
Edited by Wmcmanus

YRjcjEL.jpg

The Pyramid of North Dakota, used for 3 days at a cost of $6B.

n15june94a.gifasstinterior.gif

DSC00759.JPGDSC00783.JPG

In the 1980s the Department of Energy started to design what would have been the biggest science experiment in the world, theSuperconducting Super Collider. Waxahachie, Texas was all set to host a particle accelerator that would have dwarfed Switzerland's Large Hadron Collider, today's reigning champ. Construction began in 1991, then was abruptly canceled in 1993.

The SSC was designed to collide protons and anti-protons at energies of 40 TeV, today the LHC can only ever hope to reach 14 TeV. The LHC has tunnels 17 miles in circumference; the SSC would have been more than 54 miles.

(...)

http://www.physicscentral.com/buzz/blog/index.cfm?postid=6659555448783718990

Sscmap1.jpg(...)

(...) Congress officially canceled the project October 21, 1993 after $2 billion had been spent. (...)
(...)
The SSC cost was due largely to the massive civil engineering project of digging a huge tunnel underground. The LHC, in contrast, took over the pre-existing engineering infrastructure and 27 km long underground cavern of the Large Electron–Positron Collider, and used innovative magnet designs to bend the higher energy particles into the available tunnel.[21] The LHC eventually cost the equivalent of about 5 billion US dollars to build.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider

NYT_Guanabara_Bay_zpsf2a197de.png

(...)

Of all the challenges Brazil faces, cleaning up Guanabara Bay may be the toughest.
Officials vowed to tackle the problem after the United Nations Earth Summit here in 1992 drew scrutiny of Rio’s foul waters. The Rio state government secured more than $1 billion in loans from Japan’s government and the Inter-American Development Bank for cleanup projects, but they have not been even remotely successful, according to environmental experts. The State Environmental Institute in Rio de Janeiro estimates that more than 10 percent of the trash here is not collected, much of it flowing into the bay through canals and degraded rivers.

(...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/world/americas/memo-to-olympic-sailors-in-rio-dont-touch-the-water.html?_r=0

Edited by jgazal