Mike Mercer review Cavalli Liquid gold

complin

@complin:

True, H-Fi has changed a lot given those 2004 - 2008 days when I use to lurk then finally registering years later. Funny thing is when Anakchan banned me because he wanted me to agree to H-fi's Posting Guidelines over a single post made by somebody else (which I did not respond to with a yes or no) I told him have you ever wondered why old timers i.e the true contributors from years and years back just pack up there bags and leave without any goodbye or whatever (i.e Uncle Erik comes to mind), he didn't respond to that. I've seen and read posts on other big reputable forums and not just restricted to audio stuff refer Jude and head-fi as just a big market place filled with lies, hype, shills and censorship, a big major fuck you given to those that really contribute informative facts otherwise you're agreeing to there censorship if you don't agree with them, now the place is full of shit. I think they should update there posting guidelines or forum terms and conditions to have something along the lines, "this forum runs on an explicit level of censorship and frequent alteration and moderation of post including removal of post is endorsed too see fit in Jude's views so it does not ruin sponsorship income and reputation".

For those interested (sorry grawk):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684613/most-underrated-and-overrated-headphone-for-a-bit-of-fun/330#post_10366422

I got banned over my response to this post saying it is without common sense of logic that people determine conclusively how a high end finicky headphone is deemed as overrated because the person in the post listened to them through the H/out on a $100 cdp in a store/meet for less then 20 minutes, funny thing is within a few hours I had 3 other long term posters agreeing to me and about 6 people thanking my post before this got all deleted with a warning from sand pounder 3 weeks prior to my ban. Such is life. Sigh

Edited by DefQon
  • Like 2

I see Birgir is MOT now on the other site, guess he can't be as open about other manufacturers and amp designs as before. 

Didn't know about that and as usual they are too cowardly to discuss anything with me.  Doesn't surprise me the least though but can anybody explain to me how I can be an MOT when I don't make any money on what I sell?   Sure seems profit should be a factor in this with me more adopting the Spectral Audio business model. 

Looks like I'll have to send the half-wits a PM today and demand an explanation.  I don't mind the label though as it means I can now have posts by others about my stuff removed.  I don't think they thought this one through... 

Btw just read this Mike Mercer review. To be honest I don't think this guy has ever said anything bad about anything, be it a good or bad amp, think he likes anything and everything. I remember reading his Meet impressions and this was my conclusive opinion about him, shill or no shill. Kind of funny like an overwhelmed kid given all sorts of candy.

That's exactly my problem with him and his ilk.  Clueless idiots that can't draw meaningful conclusions at any cost.  They seek acceptance like an addict seeks his fix but they are never going to find it. 

I don't think the MOT tag means they have to do anything on your behalf, Birgir.  Just that they can censor you if they feel like it (just like before).  It's more a way that they can say you criticize Alex because you're competing with him, not because his shit stinks.

Amos just wants to be accepted by the cool kids, and when we didn't invite him in, he picked a new crowd.

• Like 1

MOT label does work anymore. Labels do not work anymore. It happens everywhere. 
There was a time with war codes. Military used to wear uniforms. Civilians were preserved. International Red Cross could help people on field without any suspicious of the contenders. Then the hegemonic military power was attacked with surreptitious modes.
There was a time with press gatekeepers. Press was then a fourth state for good and for bad. Internet brought voice to the masses. Some thought that would be good for everybody. 
Say people star relying just on consumer assessment. How a news enterprise would sell assessments to sustain it payroll and labs?
Then the only counterpoint would be charity of well-educated people that leave their main activities to visit the fora to enrich the information. However, not matter how good it is their intention, the arguments of this knowledge warriors will be seen as arguments of authority, which can be believed or not, because people does not have access to test equipment or is willing to undertake a vast range of diy efforts, acquiring field experience.
Anyway, considering the way the brain works interpreting the sensorial inputs, subjective assessment of civilian consumers may then prevail over such authority arguments. And those civilian consumers may be unfaithful or duly paid.
There are humans everywhere, not matter they use uniforms or not, being journalist or simple consumers. No matter the arrangement or label, misconduct is always ongoing. The proliferation of sources without old fashioned authority labels make the information fuzziest than ever.
What is unconceivable is hindering education and freedom of speech, because then misbehavior can’t be recognized.
It is not so bad; internet also allows other fora, like head-case, to flow the critical thinking, although few people will be able to notice the difference.
At least, I am preparing the basic stuff to enter the diy efforts, without test equipment… Perhaps then I will be able to contribute with field experience.

Didn't know about that and as usual they are too cowardly to discuss anything with me.  Doesn't surprise me the least though but can anybody explain to me how I can be an MOT when I don't make any money on what I sell?   Sure seems profit should be a factor in this with me more adopting the Spectral Audio business model. 

Looks like I'll have to send the half-wits a PM today and demand an explanation.  I don't mind the label though as it means I can now have posts by others about my stuff removed.  I don't think they thought this one through... 

That's exactly my problem with him and his ilk.  Clueless idiots that can't draw meaningful conclusions at any cost.  They seek acceptance like an addict seeks his fix but they are never going to find it. 

I'm not sure what Spectral employs as a model, but they did quote me 175 per hour, min 8 hours, plus parts just to get their DAC recapped. Out of control

why apologize to me?

My bad thought I'd get a nudge to read my welcome pm from posting some of my ramblings here about the other site. 

On the other hand I'm pretty surprised at the near 50% off price slash from the existing amp prices Alex has put on. Makes you wonder how cheap the Cavali stuff really are if the markup's are that high.... :-

Edited by DefQon

Neh its a crime.... under US law http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=78684  :kitty:

§84.  Pandering

A.  Pandering is any of the following intentional acts:

(1)  Enticing, placing, persuading, encouraging, or causing the entrance of any person into the practice of prostitution, either by force, threats, promises, or by any other device or scheme.

(2)  Maintaining a place where prostitution is habitually practiced.

(3)  Detaining any person in any place of prostitution by force, threats, promises, or by any other device or scheme.

(4)  Receiving or accepting by a person as a substantial part of support or maintenance anything of value which is known to be from the earnings of any person engaged in prostitution.

(5)  Consenting, on the part of any parent or tutor of any person, to the person's entrance or detention in the practice of prostitution.

(6)  Transporting any person from one place to another for the purpose of promoting the practice of prostitution.

B.(1)  Whoever commits the crime of pandering shall be fined not more than five thousand dollars, imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than five years, or both.

(2)  Whoever commits the crime of pandering involving the prostitution of persons under the age of eighteen years shall be fined not more than fifty thousand dollars, imprisoned at hard labor for not less than fifteen years nor more than fifty years, or both.

(3)  Whoever commits the crime of pandering involving the prostitution of persons under the age of fourteen years shall be fined not more than seventy-five thousand dollars, imprisoned at hard labor for not less than twenty-five years nor more than fifty years, or both.

Amended by Acts 1978, No. 219, §1; Acts 1980, No. 708, §1; Acts 2012, No. 446, §1; Acts 2013, No. 83, §1.

Pandering is capitalized.  That's a city near Penang, right?

Ah I know it becomes addictive after a while, like reading other works of fiction.  Gems like these ............ :frantic:

"I can't stay still as I type this. I'm moving around in my office chair like I'm sitting on something near a Funktion One speaker stack in a club bangin' away. My heart and my body have to follow the beat. This is, what I believe Hp (Harry Pearson) used to refer to as the "twinkle dust factor" or "TDF" as they used to call it at The Absolute Sound until the mid-nineties. The sound transcends the system, and I'm caught up in this flowing, meditative sort of head-bobbin', body-moving rhythm that only special components like this grant me! It's like being at DC-10 in Ibiza at 9:00AM and Damian Lazarus of Crosstown Rebels is gettin' nasty on the 1's and 2's... "

Is this what they term legal highs !

Or this

"She put on the headphones and danced next to me like the time we spent in Ibiza I mentioned above. And we're both rockin headphones! Realize this is something I never imagined a few years ago. Admittedly we've done this before: had our own silent rave in my home office, but this could possibly be the closest I've felt to dancing in a club. The momentum of the sound is so powerful, so enrapturing, I couldn't sit down anymore Now if that's not an indication of the magic of this amplifier than I'/m not sure what is! I'm not sure what else could possibly trounce that feeling. "

Perhaps he's celibate or something?

Ah! I've seen it 10 times already, heading to 11 after reading this...

Edited by complin

I'm not sure what Spectral employs as a model, but they did quote me 175 per hour, min 8 hours, plus parts just to get their DAC recapped. Out of control

Things might have changed but back in the day they were run to simply break even, no profit at all.  Some rich benefactor who didn't care about making money on his investment. 

Those servicing prices are insane though.  Who would spend 8 hours swapping out caps in a DAC?  1 hour max...

• 3 weeks later...

Rant inbound.

Mike Mercer's review was so blatantly a piece of marketing hype that I am surprised that more people on Head-Fi didn't comment on it. WTF is the point of a review if you are just going to blow hot air up the manufacturer's ass. Maybe I'm an idealist, but we should be trying to push audio technology forward and not throwing false praise around so unsuspecting readers end up funding people that are simply not bringing decent stuff to the table.

Soz, just can't abide the censorship and copious quantities of BS that are being produced by Head-Fi currently.

Rant over.

To the contrary.

With a nice big vulnerable, gullible and cashed up audience Head-Fi marketing model is dam good.

It really should be applauded, it's not easy to flog snake oil by the bucketful, they do it so well.

Chin up you can count yourself as one of the lucky who can see through the smoke and mirrors.

• 3 months later...

Ah I know it becomes addictive after a while, like reading other works of fiction.  Gems like these ............ :frantic:

"I can't stay still as I type this. I'm moving around in my office chair like I'm sitting on something near a Funktion One speaker stack in a club bangin' away. My heart and my body have to follow the beat. This is, what I believe Hp (Harry Pearson) used to refer to as the "twinkle dust factor" or "TDF" as they used to call it at The Absolute Sound until the mid-nineties. The sound transcends the system, and I'm caught up in this flowing, meditative sort of head-bobbin', body-moving rhythm that only special components like this grant me! It's like being at DC-10 in Ibiza at 9:00AM and Damian Lazarus of Crosstown Rebels is gettin' nasty on the 1's and 2's... "

Is this what they term legal highs !

Or this

"She put on the headphones and danced next to me like the time we spent in Ibiza I mentioned above. And we're both rockin headphones! Realize this is something I never imagined a few years ago. Admittedly we've done this before: had our own silent rave in my home office, but this could possibly be the closest I've felt to dancing in a club. The momentum of the sound is so powerful, so enrapturing, I couldn't sit down anymore Now if that's not an indication of the magic of this amplifier than I'/m not sure what is! I'm not sure what else could possibly trounce that feeling. "

Perhaps he's celibate or something?

Oh no , I'm facepalm ing

This sounds like my dad dancing at a wedding!

Funny but embarrassing :D