MLB playoffs 2014

Wmcmanus

Opps!  Shows how much I know about the Giants!  Thought I heard the announcers saying that Cain would probably start Game 6, but maybe they were saying he would be the guy for sure if he was available?  Dunno.  Heard something like that somewhere?  Never mind.  I obviously shouldn't have acted like I knew what I was talking about!  

Oh, and yes, I would think Bumgarner could go for an inning or two if needed in Game 7.  It would be about the same time that he would ordinarily do a bullpen session between starts, although that's usually more like throwing at 80% or so.  But as far as timing, it's what he would be used to anyway.  I would think that most starters would find pitching for a couple of innings after 2 days rest to be more natural and easier than starting a game and expecting to go 7+ on 3 days rest.  

I think the better question is will game 6 be BOTH Peavy and Hudson or something like Peavy and Petit or Hudson and Petit.

The Fox broadcasters sure seem to think that Peavy and Hudson have struggled badly their third times through the lineup. While I don't know if its because hitters have had a chance to see their stuff, I think Bochy would be wise to have another guy at the ready to take over as soon as things start going down hill for whomever the nominal starter is. That being said, I'm sure Bochy knows what he is doing.

If there is a game 7 I think Bumgarner HAS to start it. Not just pitch in relief. You don't want to get him hurt, but flags do fly forever.

Edited by TMoney

Whoa!  Not sure about having him start Game 7, but I guess that's a possibility.  Then just let him go for as long as he's effective and feeling alright.  That would be really, really short rest and it's hard to say how his arm might respond to that, just in terms of mechanics and his effectiveness, even forgetting the risk of injury.  But if it worked, then maybe you get 4-6 innings out of him as opposed to thinking more like 1-3 innings in relief, so it's an interesting thought.

Edited by Wmcmanus

spring training 2015 or bust!!!

/\    /\    /\    /\    /\  This!  I love spring training in AZ!  The fans are all mellow and friendly regardless of the team, the beer is cold and all the seats are fantastic up close and personal. 

Ahhhh, just in case    :dan:   http://www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/san-francisco-giants-3.htm          I know some great pizza and steak joints near there.

Congrats Giants!

• Like 1