Sennheiser HE1060/HEV1060 (New Orpheus)

purk

Anyway I hope Sennheiser don't sell many of these new Orpheus' so they can pay attention to make products normal people can afford. This statement product bullshit is nothing short of stupidity one could be seen comparable with the likes of Goldmund or EAR.

I can see it now... Sennheiser abandons it’s lucrative mass market products for the pursuit of excellence in sound for all the 0.0001%ers out there. 

• Like 2

I can see it now... Sennheiser abandons it’s lucrative mass market products for the pursuit of excellence in sound for all the 0.0001%ers out there. 

Ya, because it's bad, somehow, that a company like Sennheiser would be trying to push the outer limits of what's possible when they could instead focus on making disposable earbuds for the airline market (and WalMart)... because it's always an either-or proposition and the pursuit of one automatically prevents the other.

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 2

They probably can shave off half the price if they didn't and continue to spend so much on marketing campaign.  They flew in many celebrities for a one-on-one audition as well as to praise their phones.  Wayne...we are waiting to hear your impressions.  :P

• Like 1

Wayne...we are waiting to hear your impressions.  :P

Jude likes them.  They're the bestest of the bestest at being the bestest.

Although... I suppose I could sell my Orpheus system on eBay (are they really going for $25k to $30k? that's insane)... and also sell pretty much all of the rest of my headphones and amps, and finally be able to claim that I'm a "minimalist" with this fancy hydraulic gizmo. 

• Like 5

I applaud Sennheiser for producing this advance in ES technology.  Ceramic stators etc  The inclusion of the output stage in the cups is a nice idea.

But just speculating; even allowing for the halving of capacitance by eliminating the cable, and possibly a particularly efficient driver, surely some 6w or so (just as a quick guess) must be needed in each earpiece.

A heat and weight issue.  But the words “Cool Class A” suggest it is not true Class A at all times, hence reduced dissipation. The quoted distortion figure is nevertheless impressive.

Although... I suppose I could sell my Orpheus system on eBay (are they really going for $25k to $30k? that's insane)... and also sell pretty much all of the rest of my headphones and amps, and finally be able to claim that I'm a "minimalist" with this fancy hydraulic gizmo. 

I sense another S FL meet sometime next year.:lol:

Edited by Guss2

Or just get a DIY T2 and bring the SR009/007/HE90 to the next level.  :) 

• Like 1

Ya, because it's bad, somehow, that a company like Sennheiser would be trying to push the outer limits of what's possible when they could instead focus on making disposable earbuds for the airline market (and WalMart)... because it's always an either-or proposition and the pursuit of one automatically prevents the other.

I looks like Sennheiser have some pretty good business minds working for them.

They've made some great acquisitions (KH speakers) and have marketed a couple of lines of their microphones really well (not to mention the huge headphone market).

To still have the funds to develop a statement product like this during the worst recession to hit the EU is kind of a amazing.

I hope Jude gets a pair. He's been kind of a regular at the Bay Area meets lately.

I hope Jude gets a pair. He's been kind of a regular at the Bay Area meets lately.

You never know.  But I don't see him getting one.  He's a practical guy.  

But even if he did, I couldn't see him being willing to travel with that amp.  Checked luggage?  No freaking way!  Maybe FedEx it in advance of a meeting.  Maybe... but that's a tough pill to swallow if anything happens to it.

I'm guessing most people that have $55K to burn, can afford a room to listen to speakers in, so... just scratching my head a bit about their target market. 

Or, is this a funded project for the purpose of gaining trickle down knowledge for future affordable offerings with the side benefit of being known as maker of the best headphone?  

The price for this so wants me to make a one off amp just to fuck with them.  Take a solid block of brass and carve it out.  Then have a blurb that says that the brass actually shields while the marble does fuck all.  Solid titanium knob as it is nicer than plated brass.  Tubes proudly relabled in Iceland. (as we don't want you to know who actually made them)..  etc...  ;D

• Like 3