Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

X2! But put some clothes on this time Fitz.

So damn picky.

maggiesea7.jpg

I was planning to replace them with black socks, but the white ones really do look a lot better in person as I've heard people say. The first thing I noticed when I first listened to them both at the seller's place and here, is that there is no shortage of bass at all. I still need to play with placement to get better imaging (it was creepy real at his place, but he had it in a commercial building with high ceilings and no rear wall against them), but it's doing amazingly well with everything else I've tested. I haven't dug out my some of my worst recordings for female vocals yet, but there's no sign of bite or harshness with what I've tested so far. I'm actually going to need to see if I can squeeze out a little more upper treble when I adjust their positioning. Midrange is very prominant, if a bit thick and lush, which is just how I like it. Bass, as already mentioned, is really fucking good. It won't shake the walls like a subwoofer, but for music it goes deeper than I expected, and things like big drums sound way better even without the same impact (you can clearly hear the decay of the drumhead, rather than just a long blurred noise). I even tested the re-recorded version of Yuki Kajiura's "Salva Nos" which has a deep bassline that I was absolutely certain it would fall short on, but I think I heard the speakers actually scoff at me right before it kicked in at full power.

Very, very, very satisfied with these so far. Maybe I'm just lucky with my music and the room shape, because they have everything positive I've read about them, without the negative traits some people mentioned (aside from the rolled-off upper treble).

They look great, and I like the White too.

Glad to hear how great they mate with your room. What are you driving them with?

It's actually kinda funny how well they're working, since this room has had major problems with nearly any cone speakers I've used, requiring the Behringer DEQ2496 to get acceptable sound quality without really weird speaker and listening position.

I'm driving them with my Panasonic SA-XR57, a class D amp. I'd read ahead of time that other people have used similar Panasonic's (XR55) with Maggies with great results. I need to make a second set of speaker cables so I can turn on the bi-amp function, and get even more power out of the amp. I'm using the dual amp mode now, which combines two of its amp sections for each speaker, and the bi-amp mode will allow me to use another amp section separately for each tweeter. It may be a surround receiver, but it's designed to work all its power into a 2-channel setup just as easily.

Congratumilations! Piss on those little MMGs eh? Size is everything!

:D

Hahahah, thanks. At the money I was looking to spend it came down to either the MMGs with a relatively inexpensive sub, or the 1.6QRs without a sub. I was all set to go with the MMGs after I realized what a hassle it would be to try to get 1.6QRs shipped when I found these for sale locally.