Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Bought a Squeezebox Duet and got it set up this morning.

Playing right out of the receiver it sounds better than I thought it would. Going to try a DAC soon. Hopefully will choose my CanJam MacBook Pro balanced DAC soon and it will also end up being my Squeezebox DAC.

Yeah I have reached out to Myles Astor about trying out the DAC2 as I seem to remember one is his system when I saw him a few weeks ago. I also ordered the Apogee MiniDac that Dan recommended but it is not here yet.

Cool Jeff! Is the Weiss DAC2 still in the running? Can't remember if I already pointed you to the Computer Audiophile site, but there are lots of discussions about firewire and other dacs over there.

I'm getting a Weiss DAC2 (most likely) I've got one heading my way for trial.

I'm going to buy a Kramer VS-4X (4 way switch for stereo XLRs) so that I can do a proper A/B. Fun Fun.

I'm going to buy a Kramer VS-4X (4 way switch for stereo XLRs) so that I can do a proper A/B. Fun Fun.

Cool stuff Chris. Looking forward to your thoughts and hoping to do some trials on things soon too.

Which DAC/digital filter does the Weiss DAC2 use? Enjoy!

Which DAC/digital filter does the Weiss DAC2 use? Enjoy!

I believe it's a Burr Brown 1792 but the digital filtering is off chip and done by a custom Weiss chip as I understand it. I told the guy from Vintage King all I cared about was absolute accuracy and that I was looking at the much more expensive reference DACs and he recommended that I get the DAC2 since it sounded just as good as the DAC1/Prism/Lavry Gold for a lot less money (though admittedly still quite a bit of money).

I think the Bel Canto DAC3 I have is over smoothing the music and the Benchmark DAC1 I had before was overharsh and he said it should thread the needle for me. He also told me they are getting 8 in next week and 6 are already sold and that since it came out other "reference" DACs haven't really been selling as well. Also if you look over at Mytek they have a bunch of files that you can ABX for different converters and to be honest in a lot of them I can't differentiate one from another and other than in the other cases I though that both files sounded amazing just different. Though the high frequency distortion in the DAC1 is still there for me. The files are here: http://www.mytekdigital.com/compare/index.htm and I use the ABX built in Foobar2000.

Edited by Dreadhead