Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Larry, the beef jerky isn't for your wife on her birthday is it? Take it from me AU or AG = happy wife BD.

She really doesn't like jewelry (except for diamond earrings). What she's been asking for her birthday is to get that Zerona Laser fat reduction treatment (before Mexico for Xmas), since she's in good shape at 53 yr old but can't get rid of that last 10-15 lbs. So I think I'm gonna cave in on that, but the Jerky is for me. grin.gif

Good choice, you had me worried there for a minute. I do marital counseling on the side and have found that "practical and kitchen items" given as birthday gifts usually lead to attorneys and the term "irreconcilable differences".

I understand that one. Some of the stuff I got her is practical, like the jackets, but she loves getting those for birthdays and Xmas. I got the jackets now since we wont be doing anything other than stocking stuffers for Xmas, because we're spending a week in Mexico instead of doing presents. Mexico is definitely not practical, but it will be special because her whole family is going together on this trip too (her 3 siblings, their spouses and their kids, our kids, and her mom). They all decided to use some money from her father's estate to go on a big vacation together and make some memories before her mom gets too old to do it (77 yr old). Her dad was also 77 when he passed away 2 months ago.

But the funny thing is, she was thrilled over the new Ryobi self-propelled battery-operated lawn mower for mother's day. evil.gif

Good choice, you had me worried there for a minute. I do marital counseling on the side and have found that "practical and kitchen items" given as birthday gifts usually lead to attorneys and the term "irreconcilable differences".

That is, unless the practical kitchen item is a Shigefusa gyuto, right?

I am lucky, hubby found this out at an early age when he gave his mother a potholder for Mother's Day because after overhearing her saying she needed a new one. Needless to say, it wasn't her favorite MD gift. Luckily he was cute so wasn't given up for adoption.

That is, unless the practical kitchen item is a Shigefusa gyuto, right?

I am lucky, hubby found this out at an early age when he gave his mother a potholder for Mother's Day because after overhearing her saying she needed a new one. Needless to say, it wasn't her favorite MD gift. Luckily he was cute so wasn't given up for adoption.

I'm not sure my wife would know the difference between a Shun and a Shigefusa. undecided.gif

she would as soon as she used it: she'd say the Shigefusa wedged and cut weird. and looked weird. and cut her when she touched the edge accidentally. traditional gyutos need different technique than Western knives, and she likely wouldn't like the Shigefusa at all. nothing wrong with Shun, they are nice knives, and the new Fuji series has a great profile, though they are too expensive.

Let me rephrase that, "she might not know what she's missing if she has a Shun (vs all the other crap out there she's used over the years)".