What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Carrots, celery, and cauliflower with home-made vegetable dip -- yogurt, dill, and feta.  Needs something else, going to try cumin.

Cumin was actually a nice touch, albeit kind of a disjoint taste -- I only put a little bit in, and that worked just fine, but I don't think I could put in any more without drawing unwanted attention to the disjointness ... need something more...Black pepper?  Turmeric?  I don't want it spicy hot, so no hot red pepper flakes or anything, but I don't think a little bit of bite would be out of place -- probably I'm craving the same thing people who enjoy blue cheese dressing crave, though I can't get past the blue cheese.  So basically, blue cheese without the mold.  Ideas?  In lieu of anything else, I'll just dump a lot more dill in next time, that part was good.

Cumin was actually a nice touch, albeit kind of a disjoint taste -- I only put a little bit in, and that worked just fine, but I don't think I could put in any more without drawing unwanted attention to the disjointness ... need something more...Black pepper? Turmeric? I don't want it spicy hot, so no hot red pepper flakes or anything, but I don't think a little bit of bite would be out of place -- probably I'm craving the same thing people who enjoy blue cheese dressing crave, though I can't get past the blue cheese. So basically, blue cheese without the mold. Ideas? In lieu of anything else, I'll just dump a lot more dill in next time, that part was good.

Paprika

• Like 1

I'm going to a work dinner at Alexander's Steakhouse in Cupertino tonight, and I ain't paying (directly anyway).  They have Wagyu options and traditional steak options.  Anybody been to an Alexander's and have any recommendations?  More generally, would you go Wagyu or would you go traditional like a split bone rib-eye or dry aged porterhouse?  

• Like 1

Favorite Alexander's experience was foie gras on the last day of legal foie gras sales.

Have only gone traditional so no help there. Filet was very good, though I prefer other steakhouses. Cupertino is the young, hip Alexander's, so make sure to go with a young, hip look. If you're bored afterward swing by for a drink. I'll be filling out spreadsheets.

• Like 1

Afraid most my spots are up in the city (Bobo's, Hillstone, Alfred's, Ruth's, funny House of Prime Rib). Alexander's is quite good if a bit pricey. Want to check out their The Sea in Palo Alto someday. Their Alexander's Patisserie in Mtn. View too. Down near us I often end up on the Left Bank's LH Steak in Menlo Park, but that's primarily about convenience. As I still know next to nothing around here (and South in San Jose), would love to any suggestions you have?

Went to our local restaurant and were lucky enough to visit on a slow night so the chef prepared a off menue meal based on the Cabs we brought with a pork and mushroom theme that was in each and every course. Starting with

20150304_175833_zpsrguembbe.jpg

1996 Chateau Montelena and Opus.

20150304_182219_zpsejscptwj.jpg

Pork belly soup with a bleau cheese and onion something soup in a Portobello bowl.

20150304_185054_zpswfhebrj1.jpg

Fried prosciutto, olive tapenade, shitake shrooms green onion and truffle oil of some such.  Gettin' hammered at this point so the ingredient list will start to get a bit fuzzy from here on out.

20150304_191412_zps4wyqj6hp.jpg

Pork belly with some glaze, Pilipino sweet potato mash, portobello tempura and tempura crisps.

20150304_202011_zpsq5ugew72.jpg

bacon and mushroom custard desert which I couldn't eat because I am allergic to eggs so he whipped up this

20150304_202202_zpsnunanjvh.jpg

Gorgonzola, fried garlic and I don't know what else but it went well with the cab.

• Like 4

I would try basil, fennel,  coriander or oregano or combinations thereof. I am a big fan of garlic and horseradish also, but those may not work for you.

Actually, I'm a huge fan of both garlic and horseradish, so I will try them as a one-off at some point in the future.

Oregano leapt out at me, so I went with that -- I also reduced the amount of yogurt, and increased the dill.  Came out great.  That's my basis, from which I will vary.