What TV show are you watching now?

Torpedo

On 10/15/2023 at 9:28 PM, swt61 said:

Not sure if this qualifies as a TV show, but I've been watching a few different YouTube series about off grid building and living.

One is called 'Life Uncontained'. It's about a couple and their (eventually) two children. They build a home in rural Texas from steel shipping containers. Then later buy a plot of land as a vacation home and build a road, ready the land and build a cabin, again from a shipping container. They're a cute couple and very willing to get their hands dirty 

The second I just found in the last few days. It's called 'The Outsider'. It's a Father and Son who build a log cabin from scratch in Northern Ontario. Both are very skilled and I get tired just watching how much they achieve together. 

I find both shows fascinating. I know that the young couple make their entire living from their YouTube channel. And it's obviously a decent living. That's also quite fascinating to someone of my generation. 

@swt61  Here in the U.K. there is a series called ‘Grand Designs" where they have people doing self builds, one off designs that are self built over sometimes quite long periods of time. I am always amazed at the hours they are putting in to do it, working full time jobs and then going home and building until we’ll into the night.

I think the longest one I have seen it took them 10 years from buying the plot of land to moving in. Some quite astonishing houses built .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421099/episodes/?year=2021

there are episodes on YouTube, not sure if it is restricted geographically.

Edited by rod
Link
  • Like 3

There are a couple of YouTube woodworkers from the UK that I watch now and again. The main differences are their shops. One can literally touch both side walls at the same time. All of them seem tiny in comparison to US shops. It's amazing that they can create what they do.

• Like 1

For those who don't have trick-or-treat plans tomorrow, why not spend it with Paul Lynde, Betty White and KISS? 

raf,750x1000,075,t,101010-01c5ca27c6.jpg

Wikipedia: 

Christopher Muther of The Boston Globe, in a 2021 retrospective review, described the special as the most "fabulous train wreck of a holiday spectacular ever filmed," "a vision of horror" and a "phantasmagoric, polyester-clad, rhinestone-studded time capsule of bad jokes and disco medleys with a nonsensical storyline(.)" Lynde's singing, dancing and wardrobe and Vilanch's writing were singled out for their poor quality, but the review noted that Lynde's sincerity made the special likable camp and an enjoyable kind of bad instead of an unwatchable mess.

A 2009 review at The Bootleg Files, a running column on Film Threat, described the special as "so bizarre and over-the-top in its acid-camp that it is almost impossible to believe anything of its kind could ever be shown on TV(.)" The review praised Lynde as the "queen from hell" and the program's "saving grace," with author Phil Hall expressing surprise that the special—aimed at family audiences—drew no complaints from Christian conservatives despite Lynde's thinly veiled homosexuality and references to Deep Throat, among other innuendo.

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off (Netflix)

Scott_Pilgrim_Takes_Off_poster.png

Did you like the original Scott Pilgrim movie or the comic? Then you will almost certainly enjoy this!

Pretty much every member of the cast is back to voice act their roles. I'm about 4 episodes in and finding it quite enjoyable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Brothers Sun  (Netflix) - surprisingly a fun watch. A bit of gory violence, juxtaposed with the tongue-in-cheek humor, mixed with some heartfelt family dynamics (it's complicated). Michelle Yeoh looks great, and there's a few decent cinematography moments in there:

image.png.4e208beef73bccf3cfd4619c4d0f418c.png

• Like 1

Started watching what I assume is a British produced mini-series on Netflix called Fool Me Once. Pretty good, has its problems but kept my attention as I streamed 4 episodes on Saturday night. About an ex Brit military helicopter pilot whose husband (also ex-military) is murdered. She then sees him appear on a nanny cam and strangeness ensues.

• Thanks 1

Went back to season three of Fargo to watch with Mel as she's only seen the last couple of seasons. I swear this show is so underrated across its entire run. Feels so good to trust nearly every choice on a production. #coensadjacent

• Like 1