The Headcase pico Lovefest: Post your impressions here

thrice

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have number 073 and I can say I love my Pico. It drives my 650s very nicely and I have even started to use it as a Dac and that has worked out well. Sound is clean and very detailed never too harsh, rides the fence between detailed and harsh very nicely. Sometimes I wonder if something like a Cambridge 840 or a Dac 1 would mkae a good replacment but like IronDreamer said there foesnt seem to be much of a difference and I do like the size and the price.

Originally I used 4-mil double stick tape to secure the battery, but my latest shipment of batteries aren't as flat on the bottom so that wasn't working out. I used some hot glue and it didn't hold on a few amps in shipment. I've gone back to double sided tape only much thicker this time.

Wow this pico is REALLY GOOD. I'm not kidding because it brought out the characteristics of my headphones that I had a really hard time hearing out with my AT amp.

Yes the Pico obliterates the AT amp

I'm bad at describing sound but if I had to, I'd say the AT DAC/amp does the job of providing the digital to analog conversion and that is all.

AT Amp: It is pretty muddy overall and when I listen to more complicated tracks, different guitars sound identical and the lower range like the kick drums and bass are more similar sounding. In hindsight, I realized I couldn't hear a lot of things with it. I don't think this amp is worthy enough to drive my headphones because it simply did the job of providing a DAC but has a horrible amp.

Pico: I heard things I never knew were in the music. I felt that my rig really deserves something better than the AT amp and the Pico really lives up to its reputation. I'm not exaggerating when I say that my headphones have transformed after I started using the Pico because prior to this they didn't sound so great compared to now.

<note: forgive me for my grammar, I typed this in a hurry>

Offtopic: Fungi BTW thanks a lot man for your computer suggestions, I picked up 2 Smart Drives in the official retailers in akiba and they work great.