Who likes the R10's?

APureSound

Well I do. This is a lower serial # pair which I got for recable. After recabling them I spent some time doing tests on the stock cable and I must say Sony really screwed up here. :rock: 0.9ohm for the channels and 0.6ohm on ground. The ground is a shield running through covering a PVC covered wire. Looking at the wire itself since the insulation is clear allows me to see the stock wire is all oxidized!

So in short. Cheap thin wire pulled in through tubing and then sleeved with black material. Good job Sony on such a nice high end headphone.

Here is an after picture:

05.JPG

More pictures here: http://apuresound.com/images/cables/v3/r10/

Say what you will, but I am disappointed with such an expensive headphone as far as the cable goes.

-Alex-

Considering that the cable used to be ordered as a spare part for $950, I'd say resell it for $$$$

I too find it difficult to believe that it's the sonic equivalent of bell wire.

I didn't really "get" the R10 until I got a nice mint pair. From Alex as it happens.

You totally don't need a SDS-XLR to experience the potential of how good these headphones are. Just a decent source and a revealing amp.

The level of effortless refinement amazes me every time I listen to them.

Considering that the cable used to be ordered as a spare part for $950, I'd say resell it for $$$$

I too find it difficult to believe that it's the sonic equivalent of bell wire.

I didn't really "get" the R10 until I got a nice mint pair. From Alex as it happens.

You totally don't need a SDS-XLR to experience the potential of how good these headphones are. Just a decent source and a revealing amp.

The level of effortless refinement amazes me every time I listen to them.

I am glad you see you are still enjoying them. I was actually going to PM you to see how they were doing with you. ;D

-Alex-

I heard (one of) Fings sets at the UK meet. I liked them but didn't "get them". I didn't "get" the L3000 either but I'd have liked more time with it. I think it could have grown on me. K1000 was fabbo though.

Yeah - I still don't like my bass light pair of R10. I never listen to them. Amazingly clear treble but no guts. Bassy music is just a joke with them and I don't listen to enough classical to justify switching over from my other pair. I'm going to balance these suckers into a Supra XLR and see what's what.

I've tinkered with the L3000 / Extreme and got them sounding fantastic now. Mostly tube rolling. Wish I could make the Scotland meet with these guys. The L3000 really deserve their bass reputation.

Nice cabling job Alex. I'm not a big cable believer myself but I still need to get my K1000 done as the stock wire is too damn short and I want decent 'nanas on the ends so I'll be sending them to you one of these days as funds permit. I read so much about the R10 it's difficult not to be intrigued by them. I could never afford them of course, wouldn't mind a listen though. 8)

Based on the difference of the stock L3000 vs. an L3000 w/APureSound V3, I have high hopes for a recabled R10.

The stock R10 already sounds very good, I can't wait to hear how it sounds with a recable.

Why can't I get off my butt and ship the damn package already? :-[ (probably what Alex is thinking, too) :P

Based on the difference of the stock L3000 vs. an L3000 w/APureSound V3, I have high hopes for a recabled R10.

The stock R10 already sounds very good, I can't wait to hear how it sounds with a recable.

Why can't I get off my butt and ship the damn package already? :-[ (probably what Alex is thinking, too) :P

The stock L3000 wire is better than the R10 wire. I don't think I can even begin to explain HOW much better it is than the stock R10 wire, but the stock R10 cable is just a bit better than the stock KSC35 cable when measuring 10ft vs 10ft.

-Alex-

Yeah, Sony's use of insulation sucks balls.

Very clean job, Alex. Did you use Multifilament Nylon techflex? I hate the scratchy stiff stuff. Pretty pointless to rewire headphones with cables that weigh almost as much as the headphones themselves.

-Ed

Ed,

This one uses standard black techflex (I did give the option of nylon), but from my tests because of how it is designed and installed there is hardly any microphonics on the R10's and the standard sleeving.

-Alex-