Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Does that mean the price will drop on 10/22/09 when presumably my contract is up for renewal?

Yes, then you've paid off your original subsidy and qualify for the new one when you re-up. So you'd pay the standard $99, $199, $299 depending on model.

They're essentially splitting the difference. Unsubsidized price of the 32GB phone is $699. 3G owners who are not currently upgrade-eligible get half the subsidy at $499, if they sign up for another 2 years. New buyers get it all at $299.

Edited by Hopstretch

No. AT&T allowed no cost upgrades to the 3G. But, remember, they didn't subsidize the price of the original iPhone at all -- so it's not a valid comparison.

Whether the current offer is fair rather depends on how far you are into your current contract. The other question is, what are you going to be able to sell a 3G iPhone for now?

Edited by Hopstretch

This would be my first iPhone and the video capture and upload to MobileMe is a real plus. It'll make catching and uploading little snippets of baby thrice easy and awesome.

It doesn't seem like that minor an upgrade from the original 3G... added a compass, video better camera, voice control, faster processing and double the capacity at the same price-points. I can see how it wouldn't be worth it upgrading from the current 3G though.

i am eligible in sept or i pay $500 for the 32gb. i was never in a rush to get the iphone when it comes out but that damn camera on the new 3G-S has me thinking. i use the camera on my current 3G way to much not to wanna upgrade.

then again since i use my iPhone to DJ every friday and get paid for it all i have to do is save up a month from djing...

not sure yet, but the 3.0 software looks cool enough to hold me out for awhile.

I've got a long way to go convincing the wife that another $40 a month in cell phone charges is "worthwhile". If I ever get there I'll be selling my 16GB Touch cheaper than cheap.

The good thing about them not changing the physical form factor much this time around is the stealth upgrade potential. :)

"Hey, I didn't know your phone could shoot video?"

"Oh, there was a big firmware upgrade, honey."*

(Well, there was.)

The good thing about them not changing the physical form factor much this time around is the stealth upgrade potential. :)

"Hey, I didn't know your phone could shoot video?"

"Oh, there was a big firmware upgrade, honey."*

(Well, there was.)

Don't know how to do strikeouts but... firmware -> hardware ;D

AT&T fail. :palm:

Agreed. That's really the only big road-block at this point. I've heard rumors that Verizon will announce this month that they will get the iPhone as well... but those are just rumors.

Verizon + iPhone 3GS = win.