Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

• 4 weeks later...

You have a true, variable line out in the headphone jack. Given that it went through an opamp either way it hardly seems to matter. I imagine we'll see more dac/amps going forward.

I always find a true line out to sound better than one from the headphone output. This has been the case for all portable devices with a dedicate line out.

i would agree that it's most likely the same signal. but psychologically, going from the headphone jack is a problem

I have not verified this on the iPhone or iPod touch but from my experience with my Sony Walkman and other MP3 players not apple, the line out always sound superior to headphone out using additional amplification.

Gah! WTF, Apple's new iPods look like cheap Chinese knock offs of their cheap Chinese products.

That Gloss white on fruity anodized aluminum looks terrible. Maybe it will look better in person.

Of course the iPhone 5 looks nice and clean. Almost too generic. But they did patent the rounded rectangle, right?

on the later iphones/touch/nano its probably the same signal coming out of a highly integrated chip, with the digital volume control at max or set at some fixed point when using the line out

I can adjust the volume on my Nano using the line-out. So it could be the same as the HP out.

But you are right the psychology of it is going to do some audiophiles' heads in (I don't want to double amplify with a headphone out to amp!!) smile.png