The Menace

n_maher

Actually, there's this drive-through coffee kiosk in a parking lot over in Marin county with these high school and college age girls that run out and take your orders and bring you your lattes and what not.

Umm...where in Marin? ;D I'll have to stop by on one of the rare occassions I make it over the GG. Marin county is quite large.

Actually, there's this drive-through coffee kiosk in a parking lot over in Marin county with these high school and college age girls that run out and take your orders and bring you your lattes and what not.

It's in Fairfax on Center St. across from the Iron Springs Brew Pub.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.986492,-122.584586&spn=0.000985,0.001824&z=19

I think you can just make out Al asking for a "what not" ;)

Oooh, so B-52-like! Although, I guess they would have to be gold.
Hey! Those are on my amp. :(
Worked out well? You don't want Nate to end up divorced do you?!
LOL!

Maybe the tube rings had something to do with it... you never know. :D

Well, I said it over there, but this is worth repeating. WOW! That is a fucking power supply! I can't wait to hear this beast. O0

Out of curiosity, what is the largest value motor run cap you are using? I like the look of the ones you have and am looking for something at least 100uF.

So... are you still accepting jobs? I've got a rebuild that could use your touch. :angel:

Well, I said it over there, but this is worth repeating. WOW! That is a fucking power supply! I can't wait to hear this beast. O0

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to getting to hear it again too. I got far too little time with it before it left for FLA.

Out of curiosity, what is the largest value motor run cap you are using? I like the look of the ones you have and am looking for something at least 100uF.

They are in fact 100uF, my source has them from time to time. Shoot me a PM if you'd like the link.

So... are you still accepting jobs? I've got a rebuild that could use your touch. :angel:

Actually, as far as amps go I'm retired. I still build the occasional cable but I'm done w/ amps for a good long time, sorry.

They are in fact 100uF, my source has them from time to time. Shoot me a PM if you'd like the link.
Cool, I'll do that. :)
Actually, as far as amps go I'm retired. I still build the occasional cable but I'm done w/ amps for a good long time, sorry.
Oh, I know. Was just kidding. :)

My options are do it myself (doubtfull), bug Renato again, get Jay-Be-Loud to work his magic, or pay KG $3-5k for the work. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Nate received The Menace back from FL today. He swung by my place after work so could give it a listen.

1st impressions:

Holy. Fuck.

Wow. Just... Wow.

Sorry, but that's as eloquent as I can be.

2nd (more thoughtful) impressions:

Slam and impact is amazing, but the bass is also very articulate.

Mids are ridiculous. Texture is amazing.

Treble presentation is fantastic. Detailed but never bright.

Effortless... I've never heard anything quite like it.

Nate has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge winner here.

I most definitely main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1244&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=f8aa575395f02e887c3db20c27709e7c The Menace.

Again... Wow.

And proof I'm not just a Nugget Audio shill... A pic of The Menace suffering with my mid-fi (at best) Denon gear:

1210287091_dsc00064.jpg

Nate,

Have you revealed the design and circuit topology yet? I am curious to the design of the amp, I remember you mentioning you plan on releasing the schematic but I am not sure if I missed it somewhere.

Pete is taking my hand-drawn schematics and putting them into an official form as we speak. As soon as I have them I'll post them.

Nate, have you tried the 7802's in the Menace yet?

Not yet, unfortunately because they share the same base as the 6528 I have to use an adapter - they don't fit the sockets that I used. The guy who designed this amp was a moron and forgot to check stuff like that...

Well, I got the amp home last night and made my first attempt at installing it in my permanent home rig. Wouldn't you know, it doesn't fit where I thought it would - problem #1. So I tear half the rig apart (I love not having access to the back side of the rack :|) and try installation, take 2. It fit, but just barely and would only allow me to use short bottle 6AS7 tube (not enough height) but it was nearing 11pm so I said f'it and wired it all up so I could get a listen before bed. Flip the power switch and watch as the left 6AS7 starts to arc between the plates...

:kitty:

cue much profanity

As quick as I can I shut it down hoping that I haven't friend or cooked anything. These were brand new (well, NOS) tested tubes. WTF?!?! So now that my only short bottle tubes are clearly f'ed I realize that in order to set the amp up I'm going to have to pull 80% of my gear out of the rack.

more profanity

So I start pulling wires and gear for installation, take 3. Finally get it set back up only to find that the umbilical cables are basically too short for this install but damnit, it'll work for now so I finally get to fire it up. Bliss, glorious bliss. No arcing, no damage, just sweet-sweet music.

Tonight I'll see about making longer umbilical cables so it can sit more comfortably in the two spots but I'm still not really pleased about the setup so I may tear down the whole mess again and see if I can get it done right. At least I can listen to it as it is, as Ray said to me at the meet, "It needs more burn in."

did Ray really say that? hah.

Of course he did, and added that I should have let it run all night. I explained that I had no desire to burn down CanJam so people were just going to have to suffer its inadequacies. I figured that since the output caps only cost ~$50 total that they need proportionally less burn-in than your typical $400 blackgates.

Oh, and I added an additional heatsink last night to further aid in heat management. I'll take more pictures this weekend of the finalized wiring of the amp, the PS is staying where it is. I'm sick of moving that 50lb beast around.