Canjam 08 Meet Impressions

postjack

I thought the external power supply was for the filaments and the high voltage supply was on the amp side. :-\

That makes two of us, and that's exactly what I asked him. Of course, he was pretty out of it (long days and nights of flights) so he may have just gotten it wrong. Sure would make a lot more sense to me that way.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nate, just to point something out... the Plitron transformers that Mikhail uses are potted / encapsulated, so what you see on top of the amp is the toroid itself, not a cover or something.

Ahhh, good to know. It almost has to be that he kept B+ on the amp then since I don't think the Plitron that he uses in the platinum has the capacity for the output tube heaters and using the 6528s shouldn't put any additional strain on B+ so it'd make little sense to me to separate it from the primary trafo. I'm now really curious to hear what he tells Vicki.

Guest sacd lover

Ahhh, good to know. It almost has to be that he kept B+ on the amp then since I don't think the Plitron that he uses in the platinum has the capacity for the output tube heaters and using the 6528s shouldn't put any additional strain on B+ so it'd make little sense to me to separate it from the primary trafo. I'm now really curious to hear what he tells Vicki.

I have my Extreme back for the outboard supply. I am almost sure he told me the round plitron would be for the B+ on my amp. 6528's and 6C33's are going to require heater current bordering on, or above, the round plitron transformers maximum. The Transformer in the power supply is, from my memory, something around 20 amps to handle any typical power tube.

However, he could be doing the new Platinums differently. He has some sort of plitron that is not the round type that is higher amperage. Whenever he starts working on something he always seems to find a better way to do things. That latest two box Extremes I know of both had square covers. So, depending on the amp vintage he might have done the design either way.

I'd still like to see a picture of the critter. I'm finishing up an external heater supply that can supply 2 x 7.5A of DC filament current and has a 6.3 and 12.6v switch, so I can have switch these supplies independently. I'm tentatively calling it "the bench warmer", for obvious reasons. I considered working in an external pass device to go even higher, but I'm not sure if it's needed...

so, the question for Earl and Nate: What tubes have you run across with the most demanding heater requirements? I'd appreciate a heads up so I can decide about the pass device someone soon. I'm most interested in tubes that have high current requirements that don't have center tapped heaters, since in this case I'd use the lower current option, since I can.

I have my Extreme back for the outboard supply. I am almost sure he told me the round plitron would be for the B+ on my amp. 6528's and 6C33's are going to require heater current bordering on, or above, the round plitron transformers maximum. The Transformer in the power supply is, from my memory, something around 20 amps to handle any typical power tube.

Once I get a new job, I'll reward myself by upgrading my Extreme to have an outboard PS too. I talked to Mikhail about it at CanJam. He suggested leaving the IEC on the Extreme. This means two power cords are needed, but has the advantage of not sending any AC from the outboard PS to the Extreme. Are you doing this too? I forgot to ask what is then powered by the Extreme PS and what is powered by the outboard PS.

On an interest side note, Galina (Mikhail's wife) is now the business manager at SP. One now gets schedules, etc. from her. Mikhail said he was relieved to no longer have that responsibility. So when asking how long something will take, you have to ask Galina. Hopefully this will greatly improve SP's biggest problem. On the plus side, it can hardly make it worse. ;)

press Mikhail on what he means by this, as there is still AC I'd wager... not B+, but AC heaters nonetheless.

I can do that. However, the AC for the heaters could come from the PS on the Extreme, which still functions to some degree. Again, I forgot to ask him how the duties were split between the onboard and external power supplies. I'll be sure to ask before I order.

so, the question for Earl and Nate: What tubes have you run across with the most demanding heater requirements? I'd appreciate a heads up so I can decide about the pass device someone soon. I'm most interested in tubes that have high current requirements that don't have center tapped heaters, since in this case I'd use the lower current option, since I can.

bump.

So, I got the following for 2 tubes Earl mentioned:

6c33

12.6V => 2.8A-3.6A

6.3V => 5.6A-7.2A

6.3V => 5.0A

nate, you got anything to top that for the menace? :)

IMG_0324.JPG

I just has some pretty decent fish and chips but I want a lobster rueben NOW!!!

Nice pics Grahame. I guess you and Jo had a great time hanging in SoFla; at least you ate well. :dance:

Can Jam was a blast, and thanks to some prior research on chowhound we ate well without breaking the bank.

As for the lobster reuben, be careful what you wish for ...

You can order one from the source ...

http://store.keysfisheries.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9

and they ship by FedEx Priority Overnight ...

http://keysfisheries.com/shipping.html

And then finish off with a (Key Lime) pie on a stick!

http://www.blondgiraffe.com/piepop.htm