What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat around watching tv, went to the beach and sat around some more, dealt with two of my patients having a catfight over a guy and one woman being pissed at the other for stealing her scissors to cut her public hair (I just love my job), and am now back to sitting around. It's been a nice day.

Got up, cleared the driveway. It was 7 degrees and wind gust were in the 30 to 40mph range. Not fun. Took down the Christmas tree that was fast becoming a fire hazard. Went to Lowes to buy pipe insulation, weather stripping and rope caulk in an effort to seal a few draft windows. Marginal success ratio but it'll have to do until I find 5 grand laying around to replace the windows. Wrapped up the social portion of the day with a quiet dinner and movie with the wife, which means we waited until after Lily went to sleep to eat. :) Finished the designs for the front and back panels of the Buffalo dac. Good start to '09 so far.

Marginal success ratio but it'll have to do until I find 5 grand laying around to replace the windows.

Let me know if you find some - we've got some windows that could use replacing.

Finished the designs for the front and back panels of the Buffalo dac.
How are you liking the DAC (and Duet)?

Let me know if you find some - we've got some windows that could use replacing.
I'm hoping Uncle Sam owes me a wad of cash this year with the arrival of Lily and mom being out of work for 3 months to take care of her.

How are you liking the DAC (and Duet)?
The Buffalo is pretty damn nice, But the Hertsens is no slouch so the Buffalo will be sold. I'm just going to give it a case worthy of it's stature before it goes. The Duet, as my homeboy johnny numbers put it, rocks. It's way more source than the soldering rig deserves but too convenient to not stick around for a while. Anyone with a MAC is crazy not to be using one unless they've got north of a grand to throw at their source. Like Dan said, you can buy a mac mini and the duet and be way better off than a lot of DAC's would have you and you get the transport for free.

Like Dan said, you can buy a mac mini and the duet and be way better off than a lot of DAC's would have you and you get the transport for free.

Veering a bit off-topic here, but it looks like the Mini is about to be updated by Apple and the word (such as it is) is that the new version will probably not have FireWire any more. :(

I've not seen anything that said there wouldn't be a firewire in the new mini, except people who have speculated based on the air and the smaller macbook. I've seen as much speculation in the other direction, that being their "home server" machine, they're more likely to leave it on, to support the machines that don't have it.

Did some grocery shopping then cooked Japanese style curry (way too much of it as usual) for dinner.

Just turned on my rig for some listening session only to find the sound coming from only one channel. After some trial and error, the culprit turns out to be one of the IC's. Much to my amazement, I can't locate a single pair of spare IC. I wish this had happened last weekend when I was placing some order with Blue Jeans Cable. :mad:

Did some grocery shopping then cooked Japanese style curry (way too much of it as usual) for dinner.

Just turned on my rig for some listening session only to find the sound coming from only one channel. After some trial and error, the culprit turns out to be one of the IC's. Much to my amazement, I can't locate a single pair of spare IC. I wish this had happened last weekend when I was placing some order with Blue Jeans Cable. :mad:

I love Japanese curry! The hotter the better. I have some Audio Art cables you could borrow indefinitely if Nate comes up short.

As for me, I woke up with a sore throat and spent the second day in a row working with my daughter on her high school applications. :palm: Basically done except for a little essay editing but damn this is ridiculous.

Going to see Milk tonight with my wife while the kids see Bedtime Stories.

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

Haj,

I'm sure I've got a pair of cables somewhere you can borrow. What do you need?

Just regular RCA cables that are longer than 4 ft - another side benefit of power amp with input on its side.

I love Japanese curry!

Me, too. It's one of my favorite food, but being Japanese, I'm bit biased. :D

I always make so much that I end up freezing it, though considering the rate at which I consume that stuff, I don't know why I bother.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Took the Little Monkey to the NYPD Museum. A whole floor dedicated to 9/11, which we didn't let him see much of. We'll have to figure out the best way to explain it to him, as we live about a block and a half from the site of the Twin Towers. But today was not the day.

Otherwise, he loved the museum. Not necessarily worth a trip if you're new to NYC, but a good stop if you're around the Seaport and need to kill some time.