What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fell asleep in class

i think no one noticed

Heh. My worst transgression was going to a 9am lecture after an all night drinking session (long story...). I sat plumb in front of the lecturer, fell flat asleep on the desk and snored loudly for the duration. You can bet that I was noticed! Massively amused the rest of the class.

Decided that my old power meter for my bike is a POS after borrowing a friends and comparing the two. This involved creating a Excel workbook to optimize the calibration on mine vs the other one. After doing that I found that the STD Dev of the error at any instant was almost 25% of the mean value. WTF. Now after blowing around $1200 on this setup I'm going to have to buy a $1600 replacement that's going to take 2 months to get here. Yay! FML.

On the plus side I guess I will get a new toy.

Heh. My worst transgression was going to a 9am lecture after an all night drinking session (long story...). I sat plumb in front of the lecturer, fell flat asleep on the desk and snored loudly for the duration. You can bet that I was noticed! Massively amused the rest of the class.

In undergraduate I slept through a large portion of all my classes. I mastered falling asleep for 2.5 boards of information which gave me just enough time to copy down everything before the 3rd board was filled and everything was erased to start over again. I'm not proud of it but it's the truth. As I was a professor for a few years I can safely say I (the student) would have driven me (the professor) nuts.

Edited by Dreadhead

Decided that my old power meter for my bike is a POS after borrowing a friends and comparing the two. This involved creating a Excel workbook to optimize the calibration on mine vs the other one. After doing that I found that the STD Dev of the error at any instant was almost 25% of the mean value. WTF. Now after blowing around $1200 on this setup I'm going to have to buy a $1600 replacement that's going to take 2 months to get here. Yay! FML.

On the plus side I guess I will get a new toy.

What have you been using? I've been using a Powertap for 4 months or so and I'm pretty happy except for the fact that the computer eats batteries. I'm looking forward to the Mertrigear power meter scheduled to come out later this year.

No, if you're tired in class, you hold a pencil at a 45 degree angle, with the front tip resting on the desk.

If you fall asleep, the pencil will slip out of your thumb/fingers, making a noise on the desk which should wake you back up (hopefully without alerting others)

It usually worked for me.

hmm, good idea. will try next time.

Sure...

Its fun to hope!

hehehe, that happened to my friend once. the prof was so amused that he stopped the class to watch him sleep.

In undergraduate I slept through a large portion of all my classes. I mastered falling asleep for 2.5 boards of information which gave me just enough time to copy down everything before the 3rd board was filled and everything was erased to start over again. I'm not proud of it but it's the truth. As I was a professor for a few years I can safely say I (the student) would have driven me (the professor) nuts.

I sleep in class and get 100s on the exams. I'm pretty sure the prof doesnt like me.

What have you been using? I've been using a Powertap for 4 months or so and I'm pretty happy except for the fact that the computer eats batteries. I'm looking forward to the Mertrigear power meter scheduled to come out later this year.

I'm currently using the iBike iAero (iBike -- The World's Most Sophisticated Cycling Computers) which is not a direct force measurement device but uses estimates for aero and friction along with Newtons EOM to figure out your power. I always thought it did a reasonable job but in the end after comparing carefully to the PowerTap SL that I borrowed I am underwhelmed. I did two separate calibration rides to tune the coefficients vs the PT using the iBike software and got very different results between the two. The ibike does have one huge advantage in that it's very easy to move around so I will keep it on my training and TT bikes and calibrate it as best I can and maybe I'll be lucky and get it to actually work. That said the average powers do compare well enough.

Since I already have 5 different sets of wheels on 3 bikes I am not going to be buying PowerTaps for all of them and that makes the Quarq Cinqo the only option I can get today. I am very interested in the Metrigear solution as well but I'm concerned it may end up vaporware and I can't really wait anymore now I know how f'ed up the numbers I'm getting are.

Edited by Dreadhead

I'm currently using the iBike iAero (iBike -- The World's Most Sophisticated Cycling Computers)

This is really interesting. I'm not a bike rider (well, I was at one stage, but got fed up with how much it hurt falling off), but it is clear how a bike can be instrumented to measure and record a whole host of parameters that describe what the cyclist is doing - including power output.

What there doesn't seem to be is an equivalent system for runners - in fact there is very little information on the typical power output of a runner.

Anyone know if there is anything equivalent in the running world that I've missed?

Polar and Garmin both sell running computers that record heart rate, speed etc but they don't measure power at all. The problem with running is that it's very difficult to judge someone's efficiency while running and it varies a whole lot more than in cycling. If you're really interested I'm sure you could find a sports science lab that could do some breathalyzer testing and five you a calories vs speed curve but that probably would still vary a lot.

Tested a bunch of headphones five times a piece to see if position made a lot of difference.

851102513_yKu4q-L.jpg

sleep.gif

Not much.

Try it; move the heaphones around on your head.

Is there "a world" of difference?

No.

Of course not.

Get a whole 'nother pair of headphones, then yeah, quite a bit.

851833805_iW7sx-L.jpg

Edited by Tyll Hertsens