What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ This, adults are territorial an stubborn. We were running a small mammal trpping grid and had problems with raccoons, "running" the trap lines. We were told to trap and relocate the animals. We marked and moved them over 20 miles from the grid. They returned in 3 nights, actually probably faster, but that is when they were retrapped. We then permanently removed them from the grid. Never ran into armed raccoons, but then again I haven't spent much time around Cincinnati.

We then permanently removed them from the grid.

Heh, that sounds ominous. How did you, um, remove them?

can you mail me the woodchuck? haj was going to try to mail me a woodchuck, but there was some kind of postal code that got in the way. i think they'd be neato pets.

Didn't that woodchuck end up in Haj's car's engine?

Heh, that sounds ominous. How did you, um, remove them?

i have images of a ball-peen hammer.

Oh so very close. Just a big old hickory stick. That was back in my younger days, not sure I could do it now.

Glad to know I'm not the only one without a firearm here.

We've lived in both South Carolina and South Dakota, where it is just about illegal to not own firearms. then again, you do live in Texas, so nevermind.

BTW, how did we move from raccoons to woodchucks? I think I'm getting too old to keep up.

BTW, how did we move from raccoons to woodchucks? I think I'm getting too old to keep up.

My war is with a woodchuck. I'm pretty sure he's living in my neighbors burn pile so his habitat is an endangered species and I hope he's got a good smoke detector.

Luckily, we have no woodchucks in the immediate vicinity. The moles are bad enough.

Big problem here is badgers. They are either a protected species (like if you want to do a building extension) or subject to government organised culls (because they carry bovine tuberculosis).

Factoid - the M25 London orbital has tunnels for badgers and othe wildlife to use to get from one side to the other. Not to protect the wildlife, but to prevent accidents as motorists swerve to avoid them.

Luckily, we have no woodchucks in the immediate vicinity. The moles are bad enough.

I have both but the moles would be really hard to shoot. I have, accidentally, clipped a few with the tractor though. Apparently they do not understand the concept of running away from the very loud noise with the whirring blades.

Not trying to kill any rodents, and don't own any firearms, but I did walk out the back door of Mayberry this morning to find a large wild turkey on top of my tenant's truck cab. And I don't mean a tumbler of whiskey, either. I flew off the truck and started a walking tour of the back yard. Still there when I left and Claire took these shots a little later as it perched on our shed and meandered up the hill.

web.jpg?ver=12774967520001

web.jpg?ver=12774967810001

No Guns, No Beer, No Genuine Apple Products, No Cats. No US Passport. I'm suprised they let me in!

And no whiskey, how exactly did you get in here. :)

@AL: Very cool.

I just finished running a two week summer math program for high school girls. This makes me happier and sadder than ever. There are only 20 girls in the program and we (me, two grad students and a postdoc) are with them all (school) day long so we get to know them really well. They are great girls (most of them), really bright, happy to learn and I am always sad to see them go. On the other hand, I am ecstatic that I will get to get back on my night owl schedule and that I will actually have time to get back to my research next week!!! Plus, it is really tiring being around real live (albeit very wonderful) people all day long. :)