What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More and more homework for my Java programming class. I am completing my final project which is a Library. It seemed simple until I realized I had to code around tihngs like adding duplicate patrons or library items. I've blown the entire weekend on this damn thing. June can't come fast enough.

Our cat pulls down birds mid-flight and that's why her outdoor days are over....

Mine in more into rodents. Payed off big time when she started chewing up rats - turned out there was a nest under one of our sheds. Cat would come in strutting her stuff with a scratched up face (rats really put up a fight) having eaten most of each rat.

cats frequently do that, 45 lb dogs, not so much...

Agreed. Our dearly departed Gypsy, a retired racing greyhound grabbed a robin in mid flight. It was a pretty stunning thing to see. And they used to pack hunt rabbits that were dumb enough to sneak in a small gap in the fence. The greys always had a very satisfied look after catching a rabbit. Probably because they were never allowed to catch the one at the track.

My current dog, Quest, doesn't discriminate. This year in my backyard he's talied 3 Mourning Doves, 2 robins, 1 Sparrow, 1 Finch, 2 red squirrels and 2 grey squirrels. How he ever caught the red squirrels is beyond me considering how fast the little buggers are.

The English Setter, Patch, I had a few years ago tangled with porcupines three times. Each time worse than the previous. The last time I was literally pulling quills out of his throat and from inside his nose. He was one of those dumb dogs that got madder each time he bit a porky.

My current dog, Quest, doesn't discriminate. This year in my backyard he's talied 3 Mourning Doves, 2 robins, 1 Sparrow, 1 Finch, 2 red squirrels and 2 grey squirrels. How he ever caught the red squirrels is beyond me considering how fast the little buggers are.

The English Setter, Patch, I had a few years ago tangled with porcupines three times. Each time worse than the previous. The last time I was literally pulling quills out of his throat and from inside his nose. He was one of those dumb dogs that got madder each time he bit a porky.

Pics!

Did it look like this?

dog_vs_porcupine_1.jpg

Gizmo, in his prime, would casually jump up and come down with a bird. He would then drop the bird and expect it to play with him.

Pretty much Enigma's MO when she went outside. After we expressed displeasure at her bring us dead animals, she would only bring in live ones, which she would play with. She would try to hide her new toys in the back bathroom. Sort of OK for mice, but we would tend to notice something like a full size dove flying around the house.

1200+ quills removed!

I never counted. Hard enough to get Patch to stay still while I pulled them Started with the mouth and the inside of his throat (he tried to bite the porkie and then swallow) since that is where most of the bleeding was from. Then his nose. Then the ears. Then where ever I could get them out. Took well over an hour. Went back to the truck and then finished the job. Amazing how many quills I didn't see. Even at home I managed to find a few more.

He was a hard headed dog. Never barked, even when hurt. Out hunting one day and I heard him yip. Couldn't find him so I called. He came trotting back with blood coming out of his mouth. The blood didn't stop so I reached in and pulled out chunks of flesh. Got some cold water in the mouth to stop it bleeding and carried him out 2+ miles to the truck. Closest vet was 1 1/2 hours away. Got him to the vet and by then he had almost bled out. His recovery took several weeks. He survived with the right side of his face paralyzed and some brain damage. He somehow managed to put three holes in his throat (never found out how). I retired him from hunting permanently at that point.

i had my big stupid cast removed, and i'm now wearing a boot. i still can't put weight on my foot, but it's massively better. i was given crutches, too. it was suggested that i don't use them until some training by my physical therapist. well, being that i really wanted to use them instead of the walker, i insisted on trying. fortunately i was able to keep my injured leg up in the air as i stumbled across the room.

Way to go! Crutches will come easy with a bit of practice, don't worry.

Broke my foot around 10 years ago while cross country running, and was given crutches. I was working in London at the time. Big advantage on a crowded commuter train was that I got to use the disabled seat! But using the underground (tube) was a bit of a hairy experience - I was willing everyone to keep clear of my foot - I would not have been accountable for my actions if anyone had stood on it.

Santa is very tired and taking the night off!

These past two weekends (and most of last week in general) have been quite busy... but nothing like what's still ahead between now and Christmas day! I've done 17 scheduled/paid visits so far and a ton of unpaid wandering around.

Still have 19 scheduled visits to go, including 9 on Christmas Eve. The Christmas Eve visits are each at least 20 minutes of contact time, not counting driving time, but I've organized them such that I'll be able to move from one stop to the next without having to double back except at the end of the night.

The other 10 remaining visits are all 1-3 hours each throughout the week, and the phone is still ringing.