What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished turning some cups. Wrapping them up, finishing up opening up the 2nd cup in the pair and uh oh.... Had my chisel angled out. Wall got too thin and they kinda blew up. Whoops. Then finished turning another pair of cups. These ended up coming out pretty good. They're going to need some more work to finish up, as well as the fork and cable holes taken care of. But it was nice to fire up the lathe for the first time in a while.

Went to a funeral for my wife's ex-step-mother's mother who was 95 and a kick in the pants until the end. We had a vodka toast to her and then had lunch at her favorite Italian restaurant in St. Helena where they live and she died extremely peacefully. We had a birthday lunch at the same restaurant just a few months ago, at which she brought her own vodka because it is a wine/beer only spot. Cheers to Olga!

i've been preparing for my mother's birthday dinner all day. Alton Brown's pork wellington, potatoes dauphinoise and glazed carrots. along with the coconut cake my girlfriend baked, a loaf of my italian bread, and a decent bottle of Paso Robles zin, i think it'll be a good meal.

Happy birthday to Reks' mom! Have a great dinner. :dan:

Went to the Michigan State/Western Michigan game with my youngest daughter and newest son-in-law. MSU 49 WMU 14. Spartan fan but a Bronco alum. Had to root for the Broncos. Partly sunny with temps in the high 50s in November in Michigan. Does't get any better than this!

May not be vodka, but a toast to Olga and one saying good bye to October.

Saw the race at the sports bar I had dinner at. What was the deal with #12 who wouldn't load and appears to have been scratched? I've never witnessed anything like that.

Congrats on your new found wealth. Always nice to come out ahead after a day at the track.

i don't know, but that horse seriously didn't want to enter the starting gate. it was bucking like a wild bronco, though, they really did try very, very hard to get that horse in. after the scratch, they gave everyone more time to replace/fix their bets, if necessary.

thanks, i wasn't going to bet until i saw zenyatta before the race at the paddock -- she is an awe-inspiring horse and just looked so poised to win.

i wasn't going to bet until i saw zenyatta before the race at the paddock -- she is an awe-inspiring horse and just looked so poised to win.

Glad that #12 didn't get hurt! Yes, he did buck like crazy and even came out the front gate.

zenyatta's win was particularly impressive as his victory looked easy, like he wasn't even working that hard.

I always try to figure out who has a legitimate chance of winning, then go to the paddock to see the horses, then bet. Certainly not fail safe, but I always do better if I see the horses.

Spent all day racing Corvettes on a road course and in an autocross set up.

Forgot to bring a camera this weekend so all I have is a crappy cell phone camera of my car that I took when we shut down for the day tonight.

Got the same number as my HF-2s.:P

IMG00046.jpg

Spent all day racing Corvettes on a road course and in an autocross set up.

Forgot to bring a camera this weekend so all I have is a crappy cell phone camera of my car that I took when we shut down for the day tonight.

Got the same number as my HF-2s.:P]

I am soooo jealous. Looks like a blast. About the best I get to do around here is autocross, but not in a C6 of any sort (that's a Z06, right? I was thinking Bondurant took delivery of a fleet of them a while back). Though we have a new lot an a national champion came down in his prepped C5 Z06... it was ridiculous.

You've gotta get a better phone cam, though. ;)

**BRENT**

I am soooo jealous. Looks like a blast. About the best I get to do around here is autocross, but not in a C6 of any sort (that's a Z06, right? I was thinking Bondurant took delivery of a fleet of them a while back). Though we have a new lot an a national champion came down in his prepped C5 Z06... it was ridiculous.

You've gotta get a better phone cam, though. ;)

**BRENT**

I would actually prefer to have a phone with no camera as they are a pain when you visit a lot of very private entities.

I actually got a two lap ride along in a new 640 HP ZR-1 that was awesome and took several corners at about the same speeds I was driving on the straights.

I would actually prefer to have a phone with no camera as they are a pain when you visit a lot of very private entities.

I actually got a two lap ride along in a new 640 HP ZR-1 that was awesome and took several corners at about the same speeds I was driving on the straights.

1) I know you've had some problems with BBs in recent past, but keep a look out (or I'll keep a lookout for you) for the Bold 9700 sans camera. Just keep the iPhone as a touch and be able to rock a very solid device with you in the secure spots.

2) You're my hero/I hate you. The fastest ride along I've had recently was in a well prepped 350Z (national level autocross contender/monthly tracked car). The driver is an instructor at the Evo driving school. That thing was a BEAST with half the power and 25% more weight than a ZR-1. Sounds like that'd be a fun job to have...

**BRENT**

On Nate's recommendation, I picked up some wipe-on poly. I wrapped up sanding the cups I turned yesterday, drilled the holes for the cables and forks and got the first coat of poly on. The wipe-on is a hell of a lot easier to use than the spray-on lacquer I've used in the past. I'm curious how it will end up looking with multiple coats considering how much grain wenge has. But it's looking good so far.