What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some cleaning around the house. Then started ripping some old scratched up CDs that I've been neglecting, only to find out that my iMac's drive can't handle reading/ripping these scratched up CDs. >:(

I don't know if it's my particular drive or common thing among iMacs, but my MacBook is reading/ripping the same CDs just fine.

Thanks. I'm not nearly as pissed about it as might come across. I am actually quite pleased with the window, just as I will be pleased to have the contractors out of my life. I just vacuumed around the window and placed my leather couch and two of my Yamaha NS-1000s speakers. I forgot how bloody heavy they are. knuckledragger-albums-smileys-picture241-blink.gif I haven't begun wrangling the speaker cables or figuring out where I'm going to hang pictures.

2rfr977.jpg

3-driver. They do have fancy schmancy tweeters, and dome midrange drivers that purportedly bring a small fortune by themselves on the used market. For reasons not worth explaining, I have four NS1Ks, so I use two as my surround channels in my home theatre setup. Years ago I read about a Japanese-only NS-10,000, but I do not know if those really existed and if they had four or more drivers.

My father made the trip down a few times last week cleaning up some of the drywall in my bathroom as well as installing new light fixtures and a new faucet. I finally finished sanding and priming it this week, as well as getting a first coat of white on the wainscotting and chair rail.

Today I got the first coat of color on the walls and ceiling.

So it went from this:

1224452495_dsc00143_resized.jpg

1224452539_dsc00144_resized.jpg

To this:

1227926320_dsc00180_resize.jpg

1227926433_dsc00181_resize.jpg

You may be thinking of NSX-10000 speakers. They were created to commemorate the 100th year for Yamaha as a business.

YAMAHA NSX-10000

Yep, that must be them. They appear to be quite impressive. 400,000JPY in 1988 is uh, $7500 today. They resell for a lot more than that, I imagine. The NSX10Ks are not quite as insane as the 150KG GF-1s, which were seven million yen a pair in 1991 (~$110,000 today).

Look at the bright side -- you have a very cool retro high-end surround speaker system. I'd put all four in.

I actually do use all four. The other two are the fronts in my HT system. The odd man out is my 10-years-newer B&W CDN-CNT center channel speaker. It's funny looking, but it manages to hold its own sonically.

Yep, that must be them. They appear to be quite impressive. 400,000JPY in 1988 is uh, $7500 today. They resell for a lot more than that, I imagine. The NSX10Ks are not quite as insane as the 150KG GF-1s, which were seven million yen a pair in 1991 (~$110,000 today).

Keep in mind that it was 400,000JPY for one speaker, not for a pair (of course, still no match for GF-1 in price). They also had dedicated stands made from Padauk (and finished with walnut to match the speakers) that sold for 200,000JPY for a pair.

23samoy.jpg

This attic used to be a Superfund site. I removed an epic quantity of squirrel shit out of here. It was glued in place with a like amout of squirrel piss. It took the use of a shop-vac, putty knife and paint scraper to clean it off. The floor is still not 100% clean, but it's as good as it's going to get. The contractor suggested I varnish the wood to keep whatever ...residue is left from coming up. The second coat is just about dry now, and I can probably begin putting stuff back into this attic tomorrow. The odd patches of insulation are where I had to replace sections. The squirrels had chewed it up to make nests ...or for their own amusement, or whatever. I should point out that my bed is immediately behind the wall to the right in this shot. I spent six years(!) sleeping with my head about two feet away from an every-growing pile of flying squirrel ejecta. :eek: How did I fail to notice this? Well, I used to hear them crawling around, but it was hard to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. Secondly, this attic was full of all manner of clutter (go figure.) Lastly, the squirrel nest was under this fucking thing:

2pqnte0.jpg

I don't know what it is, but it was nailed in place very securely inside the attic. It took the combined efforts of me, the contractor, his assistant, and two crowbars to get the blasted thing out there. If you look really closely, you'll still see some ...squirrel marks on the bottom of it. I think I should compile these episodes into a book, and call it The Squirrel Shit Diaries.

So you varnished any squirrel feces that you couldn't eradicate? Great...

(J/K...I imagine you got pretty fed up with working on and smelling it.)

Here, dream about this: squirrel-shooting. Not "-hunting", "-shooting". Every time you see a flying squirrel, I want you to imagine someone/me having just yelled "Pull!", and you have a skeet shooter in your hand.

Went to work, came home and cooked dinner. Then went to, along with my neighbors, the first of many public hearings in hope of keeping our quiet cul-de-sac neighborhood as it is.

Weird, I attended what will hopefully be the last of many public hearings to irrevocably change a quiet cul-de-sac neighborhood.