Deals

Dusty Chalk

I figured what the hell, not much downside risk. If I only get one, I'll smash it to bits in my building lobby.

Dinny, first please ask why evolution killed the other glasses, then smash away. Make sure you threaten to kill everyone in the lobby, and please get us a close up of the tasering this time. It's the least you could do.

Best Buy finally gave me my iTunes redemption code over the phone, since they said they emailed it to me yesterday but I never got it (not in junk mail on web mail server or in Mac mail). They had me change my email address, but they can't send me a test email to see if it's working, unless I buy something else and look for the receipt. No thanks.

http://itunes.apple....d389245456?mt=8

Awareness, blends in sounds from a mic while listening to headphones on iphone/ipt

Free today

Very nice! Thanks for the heads up. I'm listening to my iPad > Westone ES5 IEM and the IEM completely blocks the sound of my window air conditioner, but this app lets the sound of my phone ringing intrude so I can answer it. I love it.

I was just going to post that Etymotics has something similar, but I see the app is made by the same company. Still if you have the right Ety models (where its app is free), you may get some of this apps in-app purchases included free on the Ety version. Either way good deal.

I owned several of the HDADs (sold them to Dusty) and have a bunch of Everest titles on vinyl put out by Classic Records. The vinyl is some of the best sounding classical titles in my collection. Beware that many of them have some nasty wow that was due to something that went wrong in the film playback on mastering (present on both the vinyl and HDAD, so it's not just a symptom of the vinyl. It is usually only present for 5-10 seconds in one spot).

One that I can unequivocally recommend is Fountains of Rome/Pines of Rome. IMO they do sound better on vinyl as Bernie used a more forgiving tube cutter head that gives them a nice pleasant coloration. The HDADs are comparatively much drier and sound like 80s classical CDs. I might have some needle drops someone did on the SH forum and the corresponding HDAD snippet; the differences are quite big.

FWIW I have heard more than one mastering engineer say the 35 mm format for audio was more or less a gimmick. I suspect what makes some of the Everest releases sound so good is they borrowed micing techniques from Mercury.