The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

8646312583_36990c10ea_b.jpg

I just found out that Ronnie Kwon, a DJ and promoter that I used to work with died suddenly.  I took this photo back in the summer of 2008, when I was visiting Northampton to buy slide film. Little did I know that it was sidewalk sale day, and downtown NoHo was a zoo. Ronnie was DJing in front of Dynamite's then new location (where it didn't last very long, sadly.)

Over a decade ago, I worked with Ronnie extensively at was at that time the biggest night in the valley: LUSH @ Silent Cal's. That was so long ago it predates me being a photographer(!) so I have no photos from that era. Ronnie himself took a ton of photos during those days (which were really good, I might add). He made a bunch of 8x10" prints and hung them up in the club during the night. Also sadly, none of those pictures appear to be online. I had meant to ask Ronnie about the vintage LUSH shots many times, but now it that's an impossibility.

This is the most recent shot I have of him, and it's from nearly 5 years ago.

I am trying to keep myself in the cheaper DX camp.  You are not helping Jacob.   :)

Should return the new D7100 for a new D600 (or D800 or D4).  >:D

One thing I don't like about Canon and Nikon croppers is that there are no affordable prime lenses that would result in equivalent focal length of 35mm in 35mm format.

I like the photo, Jacob.  Is that hair in one of the vials?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Haj,

For me the decision not to go FF when I upgraded from the D80 came down to not only future lens choices but what I already owned. In your case, you've got a 18-200 VRII which is the lens that I use (albeit the VRI version) 99% of the time. Would you get better results shooting with a prime? I don't know. I know that I tried shooting with primes and hated it, but I'm lazy and thankfully completely comfortable with my laziness. But generally speaking everything for the FF bodies tends to be more $$. At least that's what I found when I looked into it and I'm just not willing to rebuy the kit that I already have. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon. FWIW I also asked a couple of pros and their advice was to stick with DX if for no other reason that it yields a lighter setup.

Nothing wrong with the lens, actually, in itself.  I just want a lens to be at f/2 or faster when it's going to be my primary lens and majority of my shots are taken indoors.  I know I could use an external flash, but I prefer not using it if possible.

This, of course, is a moot point for me until I go see my doctor/OT again about my tendonitis.   I did just realize that both D600 and D7100 are god chunk lighter than my old D700 - this does not help with the temptation to go back to Nikon, especially since my tendonitis still hurts with m43 setup, just a little less than before.  Should just get a monopod.

I need some advice from the Nikon experts. Our elder resident is about to end his formation and we have the tradition to give them a party and a decent gift. Looks like this year the gift is going to be a DSLR camera. The budget will be in the 600-700 euros (use € as $ for cameras are here more expensive than in the US). With this we can get him a newer Nikon D3200 with a 18-55 lens, or an older D5100 with a similar zoom lens. If we're lucky and get together more money, we might stretch to a D5200 body, so no lens. Opinions, other alternatives?

^ Do keep in mind Nikon generally will not honor warranty on items outside of its specific regions, though they'll still service it (e.g., Nikon USA will service items bought in Japan, but it won't be free even if it's within warranty period). Also, doesn't Europe and US have different video format?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

The sensor is better on the D3200 than the D5100.  I would probably only get the D5100 over the D3200 if he wanted to do a lot of video (the D5100 has a swivel screen).  If I didn't have much money and had no camera, I would personally get the D3200 and 35mm f/1.8 instead of the kit lens.  Of course, lots of people would rather have a zoom lens than a lens that they can use indoors without a flash. 

Edited by shellylh

Thanks for the replies and the generous offer, cj. The guy has some photography knowledge, but I wouldn't say he's a power user. However he's clever and a quick learner, so IMO the camera with the higher potential would fit him best. From this POW the 5100 could be a better idea. I also think he'll take more profit from the zoom lens until he figures out if he's "that interested" in photography.

I've spotted a few interesting offers.

- One, the one looking best, includes the 5100 body with a 18-105 f/3.5-5.6G ED VR objective. This would leave us some dough to get him a decent memory card.

- For almost 90 euros less the objective could be the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR which perhaps is too basic, but going this cheap would allow us to get a spare battery or a bag.

- On the other end of the offers, the highest I think we could reach is the D5100 with two zoom objectives the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR  and the 55-200 f/4-5.6 AF-S DX VR

I really don't know how good are those objectives, possibly the two zooms option is overkill but if the quality is good and he'll be well served, even future proof in case he wants a higher end body, we could sacrifice the memory card and other ancillaries for this. Possibly the choice with the 55-105 is a save midfield, but if the objective is crap, then we would avoid it.

Unfortunately geting the 5100 with a 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR-II AF-S DX gets too expensive.

Any further advice will be very welcome. Thanks.

Edited by Torpedo

Thanks, now we need to make sure they still keep some of those kits in stock. At other sites they're back ordered, perhaps discontinued.

That very same screen protector model isn't available at Amazon.es, but they have this and this which don't look bad.

Regarding the memory, if the kit doesn't include a card, I had thought to get him something like this Lexar or this Sandisk