The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Thanks Ari. 

It was essentially pitch dark with just a single light bulb right above the bike. The image was a wee bit underexposed but I was able to fix that a little in LR but can't get the ghosts of the camera shake from around the seat out :( Any suggestions on how to fix that region?

Clone them out in photoshop/GIMP. 

Some advice needed...

What are some good options for vintage 50/55mm f1.2 primes that fit on a 5D Mk2? And by good I mean sensible, not crap optically, not absurdly rare/expensive, and not radioactive enough to grow a second head.

Right now I'm looking at the Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS, it's available new, and it shouldn't suffer too much optical degradation or have issues focusing to infinity.

I mostly want to do silly bokeh shots and want a lens that's sharp enough at the center wide-open but also has a good character to its bokeh. Canon's own 50L is far too expensive though for what is going to be mostly a one-trick lens, and not good enough to justify the price when stopped down.

Some advice needed...

What are some good options for vintage 50/55mm f1.2 primes that fit on a 5D Mk2? And by good I mean sensible, not crap optically, not absurdly rare/expensive, and not radioactive enough to grow a second head.

Right now I'm looking at the Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS, it's available new, and it shouldn't suffer too much optical degradation or have issues focusing to infinity.

I mostly want to do silly bokeh shots and want a lens that's sharp enough at the center wide-open but also has a good character to its bokeh. Canon's own 50L is far too expensive though for what is going to be mostly a one-trick lens, and not good enough to justify the price when stopped down.

If you google EdMika or search for EdMika 55mm on eBay, you will get some good ideas. Ed makes classy brass eos adapters for certain FL/FD/nFD Canon lenses, of which the FL 55 mm f/1.2 lens is the most famous. Normally, one would have to track down a FL 55 mm f/1.2 lens, buy the EdMika adapter ($150), and do the conversion himself, but if you're lucky there would be one already converted for sale such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-55-mm-F-1-2-Lens-with-EDMika-EF-/151034572756?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item232a5cafd4

I had one before, but my friend really lusted after it, so I let him buy it since I already own the 50L anyway, and I tend to like AF on my 5D III, which does not have interchangeable focus screen like Mk II.

This was a f1.2 test shot with the FL55.

8682941706_2ceae7a108_z.jpg

DZ3C2525 by drjlo1, on Flickr

Thanks Jon. I'll look into it. Isn't the FD 55 1.2 radioactive? And am I totally overestimating the risks of that? Lastly, would it be risky to take a lens like that through airport security? I do travel a lot when shooting. Great shot BTW.

So far I'm managing MF with live view and a hood loupe, but it's a lengthy process for sure. Decent when you're composing a scene on a tripod for minutes, not good when you're trying to do an HDR panorama in fast moving light.

Thanks Jon. I'll look into it. Isn't the FD 55 1.2 radioactive? And am I totally overestimating the risks of that? Lastly, would it be risky to take a lens like that through airport security? I do travel a lot when shooting. Great shot BTW.

Yes you are totally overestimating the risks of that. 

Yes it would be risky to take the lens through airport security. The X-ray machine could malfunction and fry your balls. Or the guy inspecting your bag could drop your lens.  He may also say "I dont give a shit that you can ask (require) us to hand inspect your film, I'm gonna X-ray it" and fog your film. 

Yes, I have no idea if the FD 55F1.2 is radioactive, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it. This lens was made LONG after non-radioactive glass and clear-non-glass-solids (plastics and synthetic minerals) were developed.

Radioactive is one of those words that make people panic as a knee-jerk reaction. The radiation in these lenses comes from Thorium which is primarily an alpha-emitter. Therefore, unless you are going to ingest the lens or grind it up and inhale it, you should be OK.

• Like 1

He may also say "I dont give a shit that you can ask (require) us to hand inspect your film, I'm gonna X-ray it" and fog your film. 

Last week, the security at the Smithonian museums insisted putting my cameras through their X-ray machines. Understandable under the circumstance, but I'm wondeirng how the roll is going to look once I get it developed considering it went through 3 separate machines. Thankfully, I wasn't carrying extra film that day.

Yes, I have no idea if the FD 55F1.2 is radioactive, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it. This lens was made LONG after non-radioactive glass and clear-non-glass-solids (plastics and synthetic minerals) were developed.

Well according to this is it, if that's the lens they're listing. I wasn't sure. My friend actually has a Yashica 50 that has a thorium rear element, and we measured it with a Geiger counter, but since that only measured beta and gamma radiation, we didn't pick much of anything up.

Good to know they're not dangerous.

More info on the sigma website:

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_18_35_18/features.html

That USB dock that lets you adjust focus position etc is fricking cool.

The introductory pricing for the Sigma USB dock/software appears to be set at $60 (MSRP is $80).  Bit surprised by that - I'd have expected it to be priced higher.  I'm also mildly surprised by the fact they're supporting both Windows and OS X from the get go.  Geek in me wants to get a supported Sigma lens just to check out the USB dock.

EDIT - Am I the only one seeing eBay/NewEgg/etc. product links?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Am I remembering correctly that someone here was recently lusting after a Nikon 35mm f/2 D, or was it just fond recollection of having had one?

In any case, I have a very recent copy on the way to me as part of a trade, and would much rather have a 50mm 1.4 for use with D600, because I use a Fuji X100 as my 35mm.  I would be happy to let the 35 go to someone here for a good price.  Just let me know, and I will get all the particulars as soon as I get my paws on the lens (Wed, 5/1).  It is reputed to be recent, in perfect condition, and has box, etc.