Recently disgourged tube assortment.

Knuckledragger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of these (other than the EL34's) appear particularly valuable.

Tung-Sol 7867

These are about equivalent to the 6CD6GA. Decent power tube, but has a lowish screen grid limit. Could be used for a few watts in a power amp -- I wouldn't both for headphone duty.

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/7/7867.pdf

Here's a schematic using one, which you'll notice uses a lot of your tubes which may not be coincidence: http://www.triodeel.com/du1a475.gif

25C5

Another low power output pentode (much lower power than the one above). Might be useful for a transformer coupled SE amp of some sort -- good for a couple of watts pentode, or less than a watt triode.

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/2/25C5.pdf

Sylvania EL86 [box]

Close to an EL84, lower plate voltage iirc -- one of them is not going to do much for you.

:blink:

Oh, right. This thread. I, uh, still haven't taken any close up pix of the tubes. I might borrow my friends EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens for the purpose. evilgrin0023.gif I've been woefully busy tearing out the ceiling of my garage and installing insulation, which is not a job I wish on ...most people. While clearing stuff out to make room for this horrible project, I found two boxes and briefly thought I'd discovered another stash of tubes:

n3rhqs.jpg

2vmxyrd.jpg

No such luck, they're old projector bulbs, for 1960s-era slide and film projects. Pretty cool, but of no use to audio snobs. I'd better keep them away from Mikhail or he'll incorporate them into his next DAC. >:D Aaaanyway ...back to the salt mines with me.

The Cary SLI-80 variants use 5U4GBs as rectifiers (mine had the RCA as stock) and both the RCA and Tung-Sol have good reps in that application. Great find anyway -- and good luck with those pesky flying squirrels. I had reds in my attic last summer and their warfarin-preserved bodies persist in the insulation and heating ducts. And forget about using them as EL84 subs. Those fluffy tails heat up but fast.

best,

o

• 2 weeks later...

Great shots! I wish I had a squid to hold my tubes. The Tung-Sol AU7 can sound very good, and the RCA EL34s too. Is "FW" a Phillips factory code? I've seen it on Amperexes and Valvos, and on some other RCA tube types, though I don't have many EL34s. Thanks and congrats again on the find.

k