HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part I don't understand about this whole QA fiasco:

When a consumer has a problem with a product from a manufacturer, wouldn't they not purchase it? What is the point of bitching and moaning about the HF2 and Grado quality in general, then preordering the product?

I'm not sure I understand your point. Sennheiser does not have a reputation for having flaws in their higher quality products, how could that have been predicted? Alright, there was that issue with the Orpheuses in the Jan Meier run, but didn't they take care of that? So if there's a reputation there, the reputation is to fix problems.

I've seen some really shitty finishing on many $400 woody cup mods. I'd be embarrassed to let them go in that state for cash and everyone slobbers over them like they're the most awesomest creations evar. We all have different standards.

I'm not very nit picky over my own crap though.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Sennheiser does not have a reputation for having flaws in their higher quality products, how could that have been predicted? Alright, there was that issue with the Orpheuses in the Jan Meier run, but didn't they take care of that? So if there's a reputation there, the reputation is to fix problems.

I was mostly referring to the crazies on the Grado thread who are just being ridiculous over the lettering. However, do you agree that those few finishing lines in the HD800 are flaws? I think it is just someone being overly anal over a handmade product.

I don't have a problem with raising the question and saying, "hay, you guyz have any of these swirly lines on the mesh of yoar HD800?" What I think is over the top is the implication and then the direct statement that these are imperfections and inconsistencies in a product released by a big corporation... I just looked at my HD800s in the daylight and I can see a couple of these marks that the guy is pointing out. Looking closely, it does not even seem to be an impression, crease or a ridge, but rather a mark like when you run your fingernail over something and it leave a trace. Calling this a defective product based on these things is ridiculous in my book.

I have a pair of HF-2 ordered and paid for (paypal) and you know what I won't really care if the spacing/depth on the letter is incorrect. Why? Because it's a Grado and I expect a lower quality product from them, the cost 1/3 of the hd800's, and half the fun of the HF-2 is to support the community and own a limited edition headphone.

Why am I making a fuss about the HD800?

Well lets examine what Sennhesier promised

Sennheiser USA - Dynamic Stereo Headphones - HD 800, High Performance - Private Audio

Under the description you have a claim/tag line of "HD 800

Addressing someones post about being obsessively anal... I find that incredibly funny coming from a group of guys that can hear the differences between power cables, transformers, caps, interconnects, tubes, and headphone cables. Who in this hobby is not anal?

The differences between some of those are not subtle. i.e. transformers have a measurable frequency response. In general though it seems like you're talking about what goes on at that other forum rather than here.

I have a pair of HF-2 ordered and paid for (paypal) and you know what I won't really care if the spacing/depth on the letter is incorrect. Why? Because it's a Grado and I expect a lower quality product from them, the cost 1/3 of the hd800's, and half the fun of the HF-2 is to support the community and own a limited edition headphone.

Why am I making a fuss about the HD800?

Well lets examine what Sennhesier promised

Sennheiser USA - Dynamic Stereo Headphones - HD 800, High Performance - Private Audio

Under the description you have a claim/tag line of "HD 800

Back to the main question why am I making a fuss? Well I bought into Sennheisers tag line "Crafted for perfection", "hand-assembled in Germany with only the finest of materials" for which they charge $1400 these headphones are clearly not crafted to perfection as each pair is different squeaks/scratches etc...

Well, you've convinced me. Where do we sign up for the class-action lawsuit?

Seriously, this is akin to complaining about a 1mm body-panel gap on your new Ferrari. If it truly ruins your pride of ownership, send it back. Otherwise, since it doesn't impact performance in the slightest, why not get out there and put a smile on your face?

Kelvin, I get it. I'm not overly obsessive, but since I got the wind chime version the first time around, I know I'm going to be looking for flaws, and even potential flaws, this second time before deciding to keep them. Can't help it: Once burned, twice.....

From a thread on hf, it looks like quite a few others are experiencing similar problems and also on the right side, though not all view it as a problem. I did and do. I should get my new pair tomorrow. I'm hoping they're fine.

Absolutely I think people don't understand how bad the wind chime noise is you can definitely hear it when you're wearing the headphone and moving around or lying down.

Hopefully your new pair doesn't exhibit this issue. BTW out of curiosity what number was your squeaky pair? Mine was in the 5xx range, my new pair is in the 3xx range.

Try thinking about it from a different perspective.

You buy a new premium top of the line Car/Table/Speakers/etc... touted as having impeccable craftsmanship and being the best in the manufacturers line.

All their lower end products don't come with any sort of scratches or physical anomalies and in fact are crafted extremely well.

Why would your premium top of the line car/table/speaker/etc... come with any sort of dent/scratch straight out of the box?

Yes scratches/dents don't interfere with the primary function of a car/table/speaker/headphone but you know we paid premium money for a premium product.

have you ever checked a metal coffee filter for seams? i know i haven't, but i bet they are there.

The marks on the HD800's I posted up are not seams not sure if you saw the better photos of the marks I posted up but here you go again:

3614709125_9207bdd0b2_o.jpg

As someone else described it looks like someone ran a tool/fingernail over the mesh and flattened some of the metal fiber.

In any case I'm done with arguing about if it's an issue or not. We will all have our differing opinions on the matter, I'll be keeping this pair and returning my squeaky set.

All I can tell you is mine has almost exactly the same thing, in almost exactly the same spot. I can't get a picture because any flash washes it out, but to me this suggests an artifact of the manufacturing process. Anyway, it doesn't bother me unduly and I'm done too.