HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People around here and over at HF mock the DAC1 way to much. The thing is very very good and puts out what's recorded. That's the problem for a lot of people.

I had the USB for several months and really liked it. Sure it's harsh to bad recordings but that's by design as best as I can tell.

Can you be more specific about the basis upon which you conclude this? Thanks :)

Maybe just amps in my case. Still not as funny as trying cans and finding their flaws. I hope they're not as good as they say. Maybe they're so perfect that music is completely soul-less or whatever hahaha :P. In any case looks like Sennheiser is going to kick some asses in this industry with those phones, no matter how good actually they are.

They're still dynamic ;)

I can see that more an advantage than a fault. Not having to stick to "boutique" mega expensive and ultra powerful dedicated amps is a good thing. Had the HD800 the transient response and low distortion of electrostats, I can see them beating dynamically most electrostats anytime.

If those HD800 sound as good as Tyll is raving about them, this hobby is going to get very boring. Once we have a perfect phone, what's left to try? :palm:

Not really cause the other manufactures will have come with their new highend stuff, that's the best part of senn releasing their new highend piece

OK, Tyll's small review was great, and I'm definitely looking forward to listening to these headphones. That may be a little while yet it looks like.

But I'm already getting tired of the threads. I'll read the relevant stuff all day long, but so much stupid drivel keeps getting through the stupid drivel filters.

Just some anectdotal notes based on what Tyll and jude have said.

The common thread that these two seem to strike on is the speed and transient response. This was my personal gripe with the 650 and to a lesser extent the 600. I love the 650's full bodied tone and what tyll calls "coherent smoothness", but its lack of impact and speed (being a gradohead) never ever captivated me into the music, regardless of the amplification (SS, tube OTL/TC). The best I ever got with the senns was 650 with Nate's sialo cable and the ZD, but it still was no comparison to my grados. Something about the midrange performance too of the 600/650's, the "veil" never truly bothered me on the top end, but I felt that they always leave something on the table regarding the midrange performance, that sense of openness and transparency in the midrange which I feel even the low end grados get so easily, I just never got with the 600/650.

So to hear there impressions regarding the 800 gives me some hope. I will be curious to hear for myself the level of speed, transient response, impact, and overall dynamics that the 800 brings to the table, compared with some of the heavy hitters in that regard.

AKG K1000

Top End Grados

Top End Electrostats

To my ears, the AKG K1000, regardless of the level of amplification, has always impressed me with his eye blinking impact. They remind me of really nice horn speakers, in fact the tonality and overall balance of the AKG k1000 is pretty similar to the Klipsch LaScala - bass performance around 50 hz, a bit bright sounding, but damn so clear and the impact is just killer.

I think as a gradohead a senn that I could enjoy would be the hd650 with a bit more midrange clarity and about 3x the sense of speed and impact. I do think the 600's offer a cooler sound sig that has a touch more impact but I am hoping the 800's are in a different league in that respect (which it appears based on Tyll's and Jude's impression is the case).

Just some random thoughts. Like I said before, I give kudos to sennheiser for stepping up to the plate and coming out with a true hi end offering. The sound signature may not be my taste and may not gel with whatever amp I have at the moment, but sennheiser has my respect as a company willing to maximize its resources to create something sort of unique in a very niche market that we have been asking for quite a while now - a $1000+ hi end can that can run on a wide variety of amplification (dynamic based) that could be considered top shelf, being currently made and could hang with the heavy hitters of discontinued stock (ps1, r10, l3000).

Ryan: I think you nailed the weakness of the 650 dead on. I too find its major weakness to be an uninvolving midrange. If the HD800 has anywhere near the speed and clarity of the HE60 with the OII's midrange, then I can see one in my future. If it also has the OII's bass control and depth (when properly amplified) then it's a no brainer for me.

Ryan: I think you nailed the weakness of the 650 dead on. I too find its major weakness to be an uninvolving midrange. If the HD800 has anywhere near the speed and clarity of the HE60 with the OII's midrange, then I can see one in my future. If it also has the OII's bass control and depth (when properly amplified) then it's a no brainer for me.

I think it would be absolutely fantastic if that were the case; however, do you think it is feasible that this ring driver technology can have the speed and clarity of electrostats? I am not sure, but I agree with you that if that were the case, it would be pretty much a no brainer.

I think it would be absolutely fantastic if that were the case; however, do you think it is feasible that this ring driver technology can have the speed and clarity of electrostats? I am not sure, but I agree with you that if that were the case, it would be pretty much a no brainer.

I have no idea, but hope springs eternal. In reality, I doubt that it will have the speed of a good electrostat, but if it can meld the best qualities of an electrostat and dynamic, then I'm in. Like you, it will require my hearing it first. Time to check on airline tickets to LA ;D