HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

I guess we all have our preferences. Since much of my music lives in the midrange, I need a phone that gets it right. The HD650 doesn't do as good a job for me as some of my other phones (K340, MS-Pro, hell even the recabled K701) so it doesn't get as much play time. So when I get to listen to the HD800, I will be listening in the midrange.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the shop. Can't say thanks enough to Nate for getting this thread back on topic.

It seems as though the HD800 may really have a lot to offer. I'm dying to hear them, but I can't see myself jumping the gun until I've had some time with them.

I have no doubt that Tyll's review is spot on. He's about the most trustworthy headphone salesman one could ever hope for, but I'm not sure what the rush is all about. However that tends to be the way with all new phones of interest.

I've considered a pre order. They aren't going to be out until March, from what I can tell. I will hopefully get a chance to hear them some time after that and make my own mind up. I'm pretty happy with my current rig. If they turn out to be as good as what is being said about them now, I would consider picking them up. I don't see any reason for me to rush to order them. Oh yeah, then there is my no new gear thing.

I bet Sennheiser has stocked more than 200 units before the launch. Maybe more than 500. I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to sell 1500 units in the first year, the amount Ultrasone is struggling to sell of the Ed9 in the three or four years passed since they released it.

I bet Sennheiser has stocked more than 200 units before the launch. Maybe more than 500. I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to sell 1500 units in the first year, the amount Ultrasone is struggling to sell of the Ed9 in the three or four years passed since they released it.

I can't recall where I wrote it with all these HD800 threads, but the ones at CES in Jude's pictures were s/n 248 so I think you are completely correct. Sennheiser is a smart company and has the resources to roll out a good number of these bad boys right away.

I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to sell 1500 units in the first year, the amount Ultrasone is struggling to sell of the Ed9 in the three or four years passed since they released it.

Maybe because the ED9s, at best, are polarizing and not for everyone and at worst (or should I say more realistically) suck ass? Plus, Ultrasone can't really be considered in the same league as Sennheiser when it comes to name recognition among audiophiles or have close to the same market share. If the HD-800 ends up being as advertised, I'm guessing they won't have any issue moving them, regardless of the price.

Maybe because the ED9s, at best, are polarizing and not for everyone and at worst (or should I say more realistically) suck ass? Plus, Ultrasone can't really be considered in the same league as Sennheiser when it comes to name recognition among audiophiles or have close to the same market share. If the HD-800 ends up being as advertised, I'm guessing they won't have any issue moving them, regardless of the price.

I completely agree. They should have released and flooded the market with Edition 8s weeks ago in order to compete with Sennheiser. I'm afraid they are going to convert the limited Edition 8 into the Very very limited edition 8 ;D

Sennheiser has always been a very serious company offering great quality worth every penny you spend. Maybe their IEMs are the exception, those IE8 and IE7 seem to be a fail whatsoever. But their big phones are great, just look at the PX100, HD600... They've been setting the standard for years, something that other companies never got to but for perhaps a few models. The K1000, ESP950 or DT48 (a standard for hearing and psychoacoustic studies for years) come to mind. And then there is the Stax, the PS-1 and the R10 hahahaha

I've never heard an ultrasone, but from everything I've read, it sounds like they are the comfortable, colored phone for the person with a lackluster source.

damn thats pretty serious s/n numbering if i ever seen it...

hAI!!!! who is posting my pretty princess over there! i'm the one and only pretty pink Princess.

really:

anyone read any impressions comparing the hd800's on tube amps? i know its early and only read the dac1 being the amper so far...

Sennheiser has always been a very serious company offering great quality worth every penny you spend. Maybe their IEMs are the exception, those IE8 and IE7 seem to be a fail whatsoever. But their big phones are great, just look at the PX100, HD600... They've been setting the standard for years, something that other companies never got to but for perhaps a few models. The K1000, ESP950 or DT48 (a standard for hearing and psychoacoustic studies for years) come to mind. And then there is the Stax, the PS-1 and the R10 hahahaha

sums up how i feel! i would throw in mx500's cause i always thought they were a great sounding earbud at the cost...but i get your point.