HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed, Al and JP's endorsements have put me over the top for this candidate. As a Senn partisan already, this most definitely sounds like change I can believe in. Off down to the Headroom booth to pull the lever. God bless my ass, which will most certainly be struck from the voters' roll if the wife ever figures out the true size of the circumaural deficit.

Now, it is pay to play - and wonder who snatched the 20 units at Logan in Boston.

Somebody jacked some? And around here? I'm going to have to keep an ear open.

I'd like someone to compare neutrality between them and the OII mkI.

I agree that the comparison to a top 'stat is important here. Senn decided to make their flagship a dynamic. One wonders if they'll make another 'stat. IIRC, at least some of the literature included reference to the Orpheus. A question I have is whether the Senn Masters, in a tacit acknowledgment that their stat line is dead, think they have managed to combine the best of both worlds. The transient response comments would seem to indicate that they are at least on to something. I am interested in the long-term impressions of the bass and the soundstage. If this soundstage is vastly expanded, but still blobby, then I'm not sure I would consider that a dramatic improvement.

In short, it will be fascinating to see if what we have is just an agile Senn up top that had to make sacrifices down low, or if they really managed to nail it and made a nimble dynamic that can deliver the highs and mids in addition to some fine thump at the bottom.

I am very much rooting for Sennheiser here. I trust these initial impressions, but they are not yet placed in the context of stats. I have to admit that if these sound as good or better than the O2, then I will be a bit torn.

Regardless, the introduction of these phones is a good thing for the hobby. Senn has thrown down the gauntlet, which means that other manufacturers may follow suit (although maybe they just don't want to play there in these times). It is great to see the continued innovation and dedication shown here. Instead of some ridiculous nod to low-fi with a design that is designed to have "bass that will fracture yer skullz!"

The price point is a bit of a concern. I don't think it is outrageous. In fact it seems to be pretty much on the money for a flahship, but I would hope that it is not an invitation to competitors to take a price increase. In other words, I hope it establishes a ceiling, not a floor.

^^^ Pretty much agree with everything said and sums up very well where I stand currently.

The bass response will be the biggest question I have. It can be concluded that its faster than the 650 (though not that hard to do). I have never criticized the scope and size of the 650 soundstage, just the cohesiveness, as it does come out somewhat blobby even on heroic amplification IMO. So like you said, I am super curious at the aspect.

As for the pricepoint, I think it will represent more a ceiling than a floor. Though there is a demand for a $1000+ hi end headphone in our niche market, I think pushing it beyond $2000 becomes unfeasible to sennheiser as a company and the bottom line (or any other manufacturer). I think $2000 economically speaking is the absolute threshold for a hi end can, where a company can still make some money. Sennheiser has already sold 70 or so to Tyll and Todd, I would imagine Todd will pick up a bit more from his original 10, and who knows what the orders are like for the other dealers. If the pricepoint was north of $2000 I don't see that occuring, but Tyll could elaborate if he wished as he is the business guy not me.

You can see what the pricepoint is doing though. The people that actually can afford the can are excited for it to come out and look forward to either purchasing or auditioning. The people that can't afford it, or they are relatively new and unexperienced in headfi, are finding multiple ways to bitch about it. There will probably be people who can't afford it, but feel like they need to have it, so they will buy it from Tyll and return it within 30 days because they realize they shouldn't be spending money when they actually don't have it (JK Tyll). That leaves us, IMO, with a hiend can that will eventually belong to the hi-end users.

The bass response will be the biggest question I have. It can be concluded that its faster than the 650 (though not that hard to do). I have never criticized the scope and size of the 650 soundstage, just the cohesiveness, as it does come out somewhat blobby even on heroic amplification IMO. So like you said, I am super curious at the aspect.

The soundstage issue with Senns was pointed out to me by Biggie quite a few years back and since then it's always bugged me, except with vinyl, for some reason the big black discs can almost make that problem go away. Bass will also be a big issue for me, I like bass and want the bass to be big & clean, with the ideal being a Grado PS-1 Pro. I don't want the mini-monitor speaker sound, I want the sound of big speakers with dual 15" woofers. If the HD800 can give me that I'm all over it.

Sorry to bitch, but I'm getting a little sick of this cable tomfoolery. It seems like people want aftermarket cables simply because they exist. More people seem to gravitate to the report about the jack type than the reviews lauding the stock cable itself. The description of it seems to be the type of thing people would usually opt for in an aftermarket cable already, unless I'm missing something.:confused:

This seems a bit over the top :eek:

Stefan AudioArt Home

LMAO, how can you sell a cable for a headphone that's not even released yet? I bet they haven't even tested it on a real HD800, yet they say this:

With these parameters in place, the signal translated to each driver in the HD800 headphones is translated to a much higher level of overall musicality and this is something no other headphone cable in the world can deliver.

Hopefully not too many people fall for this scam.

LMAO, how can you sell a cable for a headphone that's not even released yet? I bet they haven't even tested it on a real HD800, yet they say this:

I'm not defending SAA, I think this latest offering is truly a "jump the shark moment", but prototypes of the HD800s have been around for years and SAA may indeed have had a sample to prototype with.

[quote=recstar24;194077

As for the price point, I think it will represent more a ceiling than a floor. Though there is a demand for a $1000+ hi end headphone in our niche market, I think pushing it beyond $2000 becomes unfeasible to sennheiser as a company and the bottom line (or any other manufacturer). I think $2000 economically speaking is the absolute threshold for a hi end can, where a company can still make some money. Sennheiser has already sold 70 or so to Tyll and Todd, I would imagine Todd will pick up a bit more from his original 10, and who knows what the orders are like for the other dealers. If the price point was north of $2000 I don't see that occurring, but Tyll could elaborate if he wished as he is the business guy not me.

You can see what the price point is doing though. The people that actually can afford the can are excited for it to come out and look forward to either purchasing or auditioning. The people that can't afford it, or they are relatively new and unexperienced in HeadFi, are finding multiple ways to bitch about it. There will probably be people who can't afford it, but feel like they need to have it, so they will buy it from Tyll and return it within 30 days because they realize they shouldn't be spending money when they actually don't have it (JK Tyll). That leaves us, IMO, with a hiend can that will eventually belong to the hi-end users.

Honestly, I for one I can't care less if this is a price ceiling or bottom. We have a product which has SOTA aspirations, and has a price point. This was the price the PS-1 sold new in Germany (more or less), it is a bit more expensive than GS-1000 in Europe, and a bit above competitors statement products prices. All gets reduced to know if the HD800 is a good value for its price, even if its performance is beyond the price compared to similarly priced products. What comes after... who knows. Maybe Senn releases another SOTA product in five years, or in six months AKG is releasing a USD2000 statement headphone. I don't think this should affect the true performance of the HD800 nor its perceived and real value.

Maybe more people listen to the HD800 and come to agree that it's a big step into the right direction, but still can be improved. Would that mean it should cost less? I don't think so.

That's because you're just a humble cable monkey, not a conceptualist and master designer like Herr Professor Dr. Dr. Rodzon.

Also, I might be more impressed if their extensive research had also encompassed how to actually spell "Sennheiser."

I think that he's probably great at "conceptualizing" how to separate rubes from their money. :palm:

This seems a bit over the top :eek:

Stefan AudioArt Home

Heard about this when i ordered my 800's days ago, but i did not hear about the pricing.

This cable was designed for the 650 and the end connectors were just spiced in, i heard that at the same time i heard the cable was coming out..so i believe it.

I highly doubt the after market cable price will increase all the much over what a decent Cardas cable costs for the 650/600. That $1400 cable cost is fucking insane even when compared to a the $$$ priced LOD's out there (and that says a shit load!).

i am willing to buy an aftermarket cable for mine rite now, knowing what the cardas did for my 600's then sure why not? of course i also am willing cause i need a cable thats 20ft and i really don't wanna use a $1400 headphone with Grado Ext's in toe for that long..

my budget for a 20ft, balanced, after market cable hoping won't be more then $600...

I've been reading the 800 thread over there and the sheer number of rubes asking about aftermarket wires is verging on the insane. Not one of those fucktards have any idea what the 800 even sound like, whether any of the super 'spensive wires will be any sort of upgrade, or even consider that Senn themselves can pick a decent bit of wire. I imagine dozens will buy overpriced wires without even thinking... or listening.

Tools!

I agree with The Monkey and Recstar in that hopefully the Senn price point will represent the ceiling..... at least for the next year or two. My reasons are first of all Senn must be looking at ROI in the next twelve to eighteen months given the R&D that must have gone into this product before launch. It would make no sense for Senn to launch a product for worldwide sales of fifty units. I am sure Senn thought long and hard and did their homework as to price elasticity in this environment and given consumers decreasing spending appitites what they can charge, and $1400 is probably close enough.

Most likely the price of $1400 will represent the ceiling should any other competitor with a similar product choose to challenge Sennheiser. In a robust economic environment I would think the Senns MSRP would be the floor relative to a competitor's launch but in this environment it would be reasonable for a competitor to launch something competitive in performance but with a 15% price advantage.

Yeah, this isn't the greatest time to be launching a premium-priced product in any segment. But, on the other hand, $1,400 is peanuts in the larger hi-fi arena and you could also think of it as a potential way to target the lower end of the audiophile speaker market -- which is likely in for a bloody beating in this recession.

I've been reading the 800 thread over there and the sheer number of rubes asking about aftermarket wires is verging on the insane. Not one of those fucktards have any idea what the 800 even sound like, whether any of the super 'spensive wires will be any sort of upgrade, or even consider that Senn themselves can pick a decent bit of wire. I imagine dozens will buy overpriced wires without even thinking... or listening.

Tools!

At least no one has started a "What's the best Amp for the HD-800" thread yet. :D

I admit I almost did--for shits-and-grins; but then thought five times about it.

The meds must be kicking-in...

-m