HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking that there was also a strong rumor that some HD680 were going to be released. Someone even posted a link to Sennheiser USA site where there was a blank page ready to hold 680s. I wonder, were that true, if in a few months Sennheiser will be releasing this new ring radiator driver into a more classic frame a la HD6xx for a more affordable price.

Maybe they'll just wait to have everyone on the planet raving about the new driver and its wonderful sound, and after a few hundred units are sold, then releasing the new technology for the masses.

Anyone betting? ;D

Rumor has it that Amazon isn't going to be allowed to sell them directly. The way I understand it they will only be distributed through Authorized dealers, kind of like Grado.

I find that hard to believe to be honest. Sennheiser would probably piss off a source of a lot of sales for them if they pulled that with Amazon. I could be wrong though.

I'm almost tempted to pre-order from them.

I find that hard to believe to be honest. Sennheiser would probably piss off a source of a lot of sales for them if they pulled that with Amazon. I could be wrong though.

It's clearly a different product category than the HD580/600/650 so the rules may indeed be different. Amazon's gig is to sell so much of something they can discount it and Sennheiser might not want to see their brand new headphone immediately discounted. And I don't think sales numbers are going to be all that high, or at least high enough that Amazon would be a major player. It's not like Amazon carries every headphone (no Stax, for example).

It's clearly a different product category than the HD580/600/650 so the rules may indeed be different. Amazon's gig is to sell so much of something they can discount it and Sennheiser might not want to see their brand new headphone immediately discounted. And I don't think sales numbers are going to be all that high, or at least high enough that Amazon would be a major player. It's not like Amazon carries every headphone (no Stax, for example).

They have them for pre-order which means that I would think they would have already discussed this, they certainly don't put up preorder on every new high end lens that comes out only the ones they will sell. If they have to cancel the orders of people for a product they believe they are getting I think they might be pissed. But as you say the price range is different.

I agree with Nate it's not like a $1400 pair of headphones has any mass market appeal so for Senn it probably makes sense to limit it "authorized" distributors. They're just doing what most companies in the world of "high-end" audio have been doing for decades.

I agree with Nate it's not like a $1400 pair of headphones has any mass market appeal so for Senn it probably makes sense to limit it "authorized" distributors. They're just doing what most companies in the world of "high-end" audio have been doing for decades.

Amazon sells 8k cameras and other expensive stuff that's not "mass market" so I find that one a rather weak argument. That said Nates "rumor" may come from Tyll and then be right. I'm just really surprised that Amazon would put up a pre-order with a stock photo they got from someone (Sennheiser maybe?) and not actually sell the product.

If he can't, he's fired. :)

Oh snap, it's a sad day when you get fired by your lawyer. :o

And Dreadhead, Amazon can put up a preorder for whatever they want and the find a distributor much like Buy.com operates. They are, in essence just a huge reseller. There is also the issue of initial supply limits and who Sennheiser would rather have selling those initial units. And I'd argue there's a hell of a lot larger market for high dollar camera gear than headphones.

Oh snap, it's a sad day when you get fired by your lawyer. :o

And Dreadhead, Amazon can put up a preorder for whatever they want and the find a distributor much like Buy.com operates. They are, in essence just a huge reseller. There is also the issue of initial supply limits and who Sennheiser would rather have selling those initial units. And I'd argue there's a hell of a lot larger market for high dollar camera gear than headphones.

We shall see. It's all conjecture on both sides at this point.

At least the headphones are real :)