HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

Yeah, total marketing - And insulting to intelligence. Not only does it not show the entire range (no reason to not measure it other than to hide something), but it smashes the vertical db scale to make it look very flat.

The HD800 itself is interesting to me, but Sennheisser with it's superhyped up marketing totally turns me off with how they build it up. It reminds me of a woman that I'd be interested in until she tells me how wonderful she is and how she's the best thing out there to the point where I just can't stand her.

Here's where I like how Grado just releases something then shuts up.

Sennheiser isn't hyping it up; we are. Between this and the F1 thing, Sennheiser's rep came out much better.

I think I put this Rob guy on my ignore list at head fi some time ago. Was that unfair of me?

I think so, but I've never ignored anyone before.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok lets be clear that these plots while they are marketing are not bullshit.

The standard equalization for diffuse field ends somewhere around 100Hz on the low end and around 16kHz on the high end. (I can't even hear beyond 15kHz if I am listening to a pure sinusoidal signal that doesn't have any spurious harmonic content).

The vetical scale is a bit large but to be honest isn't too large to figure anything out. Most people have a hard time discerning 1db changes to the equalization of an audio system so it is well within that.

The only thing that annoys me is that they do not give their target curve for the diffuse field equalization (which represents a standard room) and I wish they did. Then I would know how these phones do against free-field response (anechoic chamber). I asume they are not using the IEC standard or they would say it somewhere.

If you're interested both the Neumann KU100 website (in particular: http://www.neumann.com/download.php?download=docu0009.PDF) and the Head Acoustics website (in particular this document, http://www.head-acoustics.de/downloads/eng/application_notes/Equalization_brochure.pdf) have lots of good info. It looks the the SR-LAmbda is about as ideal as it gets for diffuse field response at least according to the Neumann document.

(OK, it appears that this will be my last post about anything audio-related, no one will ever take me seriously ever again, if they ever did. Thanks to everyone, good-bye. *sniff* *cry*)
Are you kidding? >50% of my listening is to pop/rock. If that's any consolation, since no-one takes me seriously.

Now I've got Split Enz stuck in my head.

Just for shits and giggles, I'd like to set up an A/B of a pair with a graph like Quadrangulum's against a pair with a graph like mine and see if anyone can hear any difference.

I believe that we will have an opportunity soon to at least audition the HD800s with some decent amplification, too bad there won't be 2 pairs there.

Ok lets be clear that these plots while they are marketing are not bullshit.

The standard equalization for diffuse field ends somewhere around 100Hz on the low end and around 16kHz on the high end. (I can't even hear beyond 15kHz if I am listening to a pure sinusoidal signal that doesn't have any spurious harmonic content).

The vetical scale is a bit large but to be honest isn't too large to figure anything out. Most people have a hard time discerning 1db changes to the equalization of an audio system so it is well within that.

The only thing that annoys me is that they do not give their target curve for the diffuse field equalization (which represents a standard room) and I wish they did. Then I would know how these phones do against free-field response (anechoic chamber). I asume they are not using the IEC standard or they would say it somewhere.

If you're interested both the Neumann KU100 website (in particular: http://www.neumann.com/download.php?download=docu0009.PDF) and the Head Acoustics website (in particular this document, http://www.head-acoustics.de/downloads/eng/application_notes/Equalization_brochure.pdf) have lots of good info. It looks the the SR-LAmbda is about as ideal as it gets for diffuse field response at least according to the Neumann document.

Thanks for the info! I enjoyed reading it ;)

Well it's supposed to be an electrostat showdown but there are at least 2 pairs of HD800s available for the micro mini meet at my house this weekend (if everyone shows up).

Ok. Well the other pair that I know of should come (the owner is coming though I haven't confirmed if he will bring them). We can even plug them both at the same time into the GS-X and off we go. ;D

How is the KGSS? :cool:

It sounds great and works well with my O2 and ESP950. I have to give it a proper listen etc but I'm pretty happy. It will be a fun month or so until I make up my mind. Haven't done any comparisons with the HD800s/GS-X as yet.

Edited by Dreadhead

It sounds great and works well with my O2 and ESP950. I have to give it a proper listen etc but I'm pretty happy. It will be a fun month or so until I make up my mind. Haven't done any comparisons with the HD800s/GS-X as yet.

I am interested in measurements of the ESP950 on the KGSS vs E90. To see if there is a measurable difference. Don't worry I'm not doubting the KGSS sounds much better :P

How is the KGSS? :cool:

So, would you recommend a person with a maxed GES to add a KGSS to it and have two different flavors, or get rid of the GES and get a KGBHSE?