Brand new to Head Case....

kelvinz

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell I'm going to like this place already:

http://www.head-case.org/forums/headphones/5189-does-anyone-try-la5000-la7000.html

:D

I learned all about modifying factory items with Cars... Rarely do individuals know more than multi-million dollar company which hires experts to produce a high quality product and any improvements generally come with some sort of detriment to the total body of the product.

Rarely do individuals know more than multi-million dollar company which hires experts to produce a high quality product and any improvements generally come with some sort of detriment to the total body of the product.

yeah, because multi-million dolllar companies always hire the brightest and best talent they can.

I learned all about modifying factory items with Cars... Rarely do individuals know more than multi-million dollar company which hires experts to produce a high quality product and any improvements generally come with some sort of detriment to the total body of the product.

Misstep #1. Careful...

Also take into account that certain design features in many products are simply for user-friendliness, or to cover the producer's ass in case of warranty claims.

Knowledgeable and competent individuals don't need these systems, and sometimes removing them makes sense. Input coupling caps jump to mind as a prominent example. If your source is well-designed enough not to throw off huge DC offset, or if you are careful to make sure your gear is biased properly, you usually don't need input coupling caps, and you get sonic benefits from removing them.

I didn't learn any of this until I came to HC. I just knew that "moar blackgates = better". I'm sure there are plenty more wonderful little factoids that luvdunhill will caustically slide my way as time goes on.

You would be surprised at how much stuff is really just designed from the datasheet examples. These are often wrong. Remember it isn't usually a design engineer doing the datasheet work, and even for new parts, the examples may be retreads from decades ago.

Also, the reasons that things are done a certain way in commercial gear may have nothing to with sound quality or other aspects that you would think would have been accounted for. For example, that transformer on an SPDIF output may be there more to meet FCC part 15 testing rather than its suitability as a pulse transformer.

yes and no. products are always built to a price point, even top of the line ones, and even big companies make mistakes in their designs, some times even obvious in hindsight mistakes. while i agree that often times certain, maybe even most, mods don't make a great deal of sense (in cars, audio, or anything else), knowledgeable individuals are often able to recognize areas where improvement is possible, even in well designed products. it's also significantly easier and cheaper for individual items to be improved than for a large company to change a design and produce it in volume, even if the mods seem cost effective on a one off basis.

I absolutely agree most products are built to a price point, but in general the cars I've bought were built to do one task or another well. Throwing money at it to make it more "sporty" or "luxurious" generally meant that you were making some sort of inverse trade off.

However I am a sucker for a product built from the ground up to do a specific task, which is why I have been eyeing the B22 since I had a chance to audition Socrates' Nugget back in late 07/early 08.

My real doubt is regarding the Markl mods. His mods seem to be such pardon the jargon "low hanging fruit" that if they truly enhance the headphone in all aspects it's hard to beleive that wouldn't have done something similar in their flagship headphone.

Also take into account that certain design features in many products are simply for user-friendliness, or to cover the producer's ass in case of warranty claims.

Knowledgeable and competent individuals don't need these systems, and sometimes removing them makes sense. Input coupling caps jump to mind as a prominent example. If your source is well-designed enough not to throw off huge DC offset, or if you are careful to make sure your gear is biased properly, you usually don't need input coupling caps, and you get sonic benefits from removing them.

I didn't learn any of this until I came to HC. I just knew that "moar blackgates = better". I'm sure there are plenty more wonderful little factoids that luvdunhill will caustically slide my way as time goes on.

I definitely have much to learn! I only know blackgates are expensive :D

You would be surprised at how much stuff is really just designed from the datasheet examples. These are often wrong. Remember it isn't usually a design engineer doing the datasheet work, and even for new parts, the examples may be retreads from decades ago.

Also, the reasons that things are done a certain way in commercial gear may have nothing to with sound quality or other aspects that you would think would have been accounted for. For example, that transformer on an SPDIF output may be there more to meet FCC part 15 testing rather than its suitability as a pulse transformer.

When you say datasheet examples are you implying that most companies just take an old design and slap newer/more expensive components on?

When you say datasheet examples are you implying that most companies just take an old design and slap newer/more expensive components on?

You'd be surprised by the number of companies that are doing that. Or for instance, copying the chip manufacturer's circuit application example right off the datasheet.

I am new "here" as well.

Is there a post minimum before I can wear my :asshat: ?

I hope not, cause its just collecting dust in my closet, next to my mega-size sombrero.

Oh yeah, and since joining my HC my personal S/N ratio has decreased and my hearing has improved. I can hear a butterflies wings from a mile away.

Hey y'all, I'm also new here after 2 years on head-fi. I'm too poor and live in too remote a location to have much experience with different cans and amps, and this looks like a good place to advance my learning and toss some bull around as well. Upon first glance, I notice there aren't nearly enough relationship advice threads - what's up with that?