New RSA amp...

penger

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still think he should have gone with a different name as the A-10 is also known as the warthog.

Yep, I've already referred to the amp several times by that name. I have to admit that I hate the fact that Ray is co-opting the names of military aircraft to sell his products. It must be the old USAF brat in me.

I'm wondering about the tube complement. On the middle tube I can make out "ECC" and "3" in one of the photos so I'm guessing a ECC83/12AX7 variant. The output tubes (I'm guessing that's what the two larger ones at the rear are) look vaguely like the 6L6WGA/5932, but I certainly can't read a marking anywhere. I'm no electrical engineer by any means, but from the tube specs I wouldn't have thought those would be capable of driving something like the O2 as well as something like the BHSE's EL-34s. I do notice that he only shows Sennheiser stats in the photos though.

The output tubes (I'm guessing that's what the two larger ones at the rear are) look vaguely like the 6L6WGA/5932, but I certainly can't read a marking anywhere. I'm no electrical engineer by any means, but from the tube specs I wouldn't have thought those would be capable of driving something like the O2 as well as something like the BHSE's EL-34s. I do notice that he only shows Sennheiser stats in the photos though.

Could it be a hybrid with SS output stage?

The Republic P-47, a great plane once they got to the D model with paddle-blade propellors.

:rofl: FTMFW.

I'm more interested in how it sounds and whether it will have reliability issues due to Ray's lack of experience designing stat amps.

<snip> And without killing himself.

In all seriousness, this is my main concern. Given the ...quirks in Ray's previous dynamic amp designs (toasty PSUs, etc.) what is the chance of a malfunctioning stat amp fucking killing you?

Certainly has an interesting look, though I do vastly prefer the simpler sleeker look of the BHSE. ;) And I admit I like how the amp is designed to stack with the PSU, though it doesn't seem like there's enough heat ventilation for the amp. I look forward to finding out how much it'll cost... :D

I don't really understand why it has 5 inputs either (3 single-ended & 2 balanced), seems totally unnecessary.

Yep, I've already referred to the amp several times by that name. I have to admit that I hate the fact that Ray is co-opting the names of military aircraft to sell his products. It must be the old USAF brat in me.

At least it's not called a M247 Sergeant York.

Don't care for the gold/brass. Other than that I like the chassis.

Finally!!

At last, someone has made a decent stat amp. About time too, who else but Ray can we trust this monumental task to. I think I came in my pants looking at it. Now I need to head off and drool in Rays thread and give him a good online virtual bj before everyone else beats me to it.

I feel the floor in there is going to get rather sticky...

That thing has to be one of the ugliest amps ever made. :palm: Does Ray even know what subtle means?

I like the way the sides look with those parallel bars. That's something I don't think I've seen on an amp before.

SPM650%20on%20BLK%281%29.jpg

There are quite a few that have also done this besides Chord.

I'm wondering about the tube complement. On the middle tube I can make out "ECC" and "3" in one of the photos so I'm guessing a ECC83/12AX7 variant. The output tubes (I'm guessing that's what the two larger ones at the rear are) look vaguely like the 6L6WGA/5932, but I certainly can't read a marking anywhere. I'm no electrical engineer by any means, but from the tube specs I wouldn't have thought those would be capable of driving something like the O2 as well as something like the BHSE's EL-34s. I do notice that he only shows Sennheiser stats in the photos though.

The tube names are silk screened on the chassis but I can only make out the 12AX7 for that center tube. It's hard to tell but the output tubes could even be 6SN7's and then Ray (who is probably running the whole thing off one filament supply) is going to enter a world of pain.

The SR-007 not only needs a lot of voltage swing but more importantly current. For that you need a massive CCS on the output tubes with the necessary heatsinks and that's far, far beyond Ray's capabilities as an "engineer".

The output tubes that are on the right are 6SN7 tubes. They are for the preamp section only.

Hmmmmm, so then the power stage would have to be solid state then? Still seems like a lot of tubes for a preamp. I'm looking forward to these interior shots he mentioned.

Pair of balanced input tubes, likely 12ax7 or similar.

Pair of cathode follower output tubes, likely 12ax7 or similar. Balanced outputs.

a cathode follower tube for the unbalanced outputs.

pair of balanced gain tubes for the output stage, likely 12ax7 or similar.

6sn7's as the output tubes. Likely capacitively coupled.

Single filament supply for the whole thing which is ok for this circuit.

Speaking of which this circuit has been published many times before.

Its possible that the small tubes in the back are single triodes instead of duals which

means they could be phase splitters instead...

Restricted output voltage swing, max 500 p-p. Low current outputs.

68k or higher plate resistors...

Yep, typical ray.

Edited by kevin gilmore

so on closer inspection i will modify my analysis.

Pair of balanced input tubes, 12ax7. Left back. Same place as b52.

followed by 4 section volume knob.

followed by 4 srpp gain sections, 5687's Used to drive output stage and preamp

output.

So basically identical to 2 x raptors, or 1 x B52.

extra 12ax7 as unbalanced ouputs.

6sn7's as electrostatic outputs. Capacitvely coupled, same as aristaeus.

A pair of 300 volt power supplies stacked. Outputs at +300 and +600.

Same +600 supply used as bias output. Whether or not it is actually dual, dual

supplies (i.e. dual mono) is unknown, unlikely. So its either 4 wires, of possibly

8 wires in the umbilical cable.

have you read krmathis's demands on this? It must also be the same size as the Pico, which can't even fit a Stax jack on the front panel, creating difficulties.

Thats because he's a fucking idiot.

sorry for the off-topic, but to give an idea of the size required to make a decent stax portable, figure about 5W which allows +/-300V and 1mA for each output stage (compared to BH which is +/-400V and 20mA output bias). That would be a life of 27 minutes if you used a 9V nimh battery

Can't you compensiate with moar blackgates?

have you read krmathis's demands on this? It must also be the same size as the Pico, which can't even fit a Stax jack on the front panel, creating difficulties.

It can still be done. It just ain't cheap. The prototype was 600mw per channel.

1.2 watts total. Output connector can be a flat connector just like the stax

portable. Converts to a round connector a foot later. You can get about 6 hours

out of a honkin-large Lithium battery.

Or do it with miniature transformers, then it is real easy. And cheap.

The SR-007 not only needs a lot of voltage swing but more importantly current. For that you need a massive CCS on the output tubes with the necessary heatsinks and that's far, far beyond Ray's capabilities as an "engineer".

According to Ray he did not voice it for the SR-007. He voiced it for the HE-90 and the Jade.