JH Audio stuffs

atothex

"We stopped shipment on a few orders last night (including yours) when they did not test out."

mud02.jpg

sorry to hear that RIc, it sounds like the gain issue is still not resolved based on comments over at HF.

I'm not sure why Jerry has not volume matched the digital and analog gain on the input side so they are relatively even then set the output gain?

I'm with you Justin. The 3a is pretty much the only piece of audio gear that I actually want to buy but any hiss in equipment drives me nuts (YMMV).

I hope they figure it out.

just came across the "NEW information on JH-3a" thread. Yeah, i don't keep up with head-fi anymore. with the exception of the BHSE thread in the high-end forum it's rare for anything relevant to me to be posted over there.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/544789/new-information-on-jh-3a/1515

my head hurts.

Tell me about it...if I could I would stop reading that ridiculous thread ...it's just gotten so damn hostile. The unfortunate problem is that I own a unit and need to keep up with all the god damn iterations of the firmware on the thing....and that's where the info is at. Maybe, we should have a more gentle and civilized JH3a thread over here since I know of a few HC members that own one. ;)

Maybe it's the fact that this unit sounds pretty great or maybe it's because my wife is out of town and I have a lot of time on my hands...but I'm having a blast listening to a ton of great music I haven't touched in years with the JH3a! :D

On a side note, Justin is right about info and attitude of people at HF recently. There's just so little worthwile contect to read over there. I've been reading the forums on computeraudiophile recently and am just amazed by the quality, depth, and knowledge that a large portion of the posts have over there. Granted a lot of it is probably BS, but at least it's very civilized and grown up. World of a difference...

-Alex

Edited by monsieurguzel

Tell me about it...if I could I would stop reading that ridiculous thread ...it's just gotten so damn hostile. The unfortunate problem is that I own a unit and need to keep up with all the god damn iterations of the firmware on the thing....and that's where the info is at. Maybe, we should have a more gentle and civilized JH3a thread over here since I know of a few HC members that own one. ;)

Maybe it's the fact that this unit sounds pretty great or maybe it's because my wife is out of town and I have a lot of time on my hands...but I'm having a blast listening to a ton of great music I haven't touched in years with the JH3a! :D

On a side note, Justin is right about info and attitude of people at HF recently. There's just so little worthwile contect to read over there. I've been reading the forums on computeraudiophile recently and am just amazed by the quality, depth, and knowledge that a large portion of the posts have over there. Granted a lot of it is probably BS, but at least it's very civilized and grown up. World of a difference...

-Alex

can you tell me the best portable amp for $75 and my crappy headphone?

here are a bunch of youtube videos of the music i listen to

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Here's an update to get you through the weekend..

We have lowered the noise floor to a point that the amp/dsp noise is not

audible. This final adjustment to the amp outputs have made the analog line In

a touch too quiet. Therefore, we are increasing the gain of the line-in with a

pre amp circuit. We are currently changing the PCB board to accept this gain

stage.

Please know that we are working as quickly as possible to get this mod

implemented and 3As to everyone. We will give everyone a timeline update on the

4th of August.

Please email or call with any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

JHA

I fucking love mine but would like to hear the new units. The analog stage now has an additional gain stage that I am not overly crazy about but it's not a huge big deal.

I would have thought they could have corrected the analog/digital gain issue in the dsp/software section rather than have added electronics but what do I know?

For the record (I know this makes me out to be a bit of an ass), last week I gave up and asked for a refund. Refunds were stopped earlier when they were days away, but they obviously missed ship date #126 too and Jerry was quoted recently saying people could have gotten their money back at anytime. Once they exhausted both the "we won't release until perfect" and "we rushed under public pressure" defenses I lost faith.

Received a prompt response:

"I'm sorry I cannot offer you a refund. There is only 1 person in front of you. Your earpieces have been completed and will ship in the very next shipment of amp pre-orders."

I should have quit when during a move and job change my primary use stopped back in Oct. Should have again when the one year mark passed. Should have at each functional change (most recently code flashing drop). We were always 1-3 weeks away from shipping, so I stupidly hung on each failed cycle. Anyway, I'm not too surprised by their response (it is late, I had received a shipping notice - still open - so knew close, customer service is far from their strong point, etc.), and I mostly blame myself for the earlier inaction, but I hope this turns out to the damn portable Jesus system. Would love a happy-ish ending.

Guess I'm to be the next guinea pig so will let you guys know how this beta version performs. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: And JP I email twice about the analog/digital gain issue and asked what was planned. Didn't receive a response (though above mass email does address).

Edited by blessingx

Ric,

Just out of curiosity, who sent you the email declining to refund your deposit? From my limited experience and observations there is one or two people at JH that are not as customer service savvy/ amenable as perhaps Jerry would be...... Just sayin'

So the consequence of me reading Ric's post as well as other "issues" I have read is that I am more inclined now more than ever to wait to make a purchase once I know all performance and service issues have been handled satisfactorily. I can't help but think that as a manufacturer, Jerry would want a healthy amount of early adopters not a population of "let's wait and see what other problems pop up" customers.

Ric, that sucks big time. I saw your post a while ago but figured that it would soon be followed with a JH fixed it post and since others had already posted I kept quiet. Again, that sucks big time.

X2

JH's customer service seems to be really hit and miss which is sad, they have a good product but more and more they seem to be gaining a reputation of being somewhat difficult to deal with at times.

I can fully understand the issues of developing a new product. And certainly one as complicated as this. However it seems to me that good customer service and communication can ease a lot of anxiety in this community. We are after all a very patient bunch, especially when served up a nice plate of honesty.

How many times do we have to see the same soap opera unfold?

I wish the best for all involved.