JH Audio stuffs

atothex

My wonder is how much better would an "upgrade" from the JH13 really be? I have my doubts about how much improvement there is left to dig up. I'm sure there is some, but how significant would it be, in actual usage?

At any rate, no matter what comes out later, there is indeed nothing that will make the JH13 suddenly suck. Would you rather sit on the sidelines with the faint hope that someday something better might come along, or get in the game, and listen to the best damn IEM's around, now? Life is too short to ride the pine, IMO.

So much funboyism from people with accredited knowledge and good taste in sound reproduction make those things desirable. However I'm not into the customs thing for many reasons.

Anyone knows if at some point they'll be released in universal form factor?

I highly doubt there will be a universal version. Not to say that they might not make a similar device, in a universal form factor, but I'd be almost certain, due to technical issues, that it wouldn't sound the same/as good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the Norcal meet, the universals weren't what you would traditionally think of universals. They look like molded customs and there were disposable sleeves that you could stick on the outcropping that would normally go into your ear.

Those were the ones, for sure.

My wonder is how much better would an "upgrade" from the JH13 really be? I have my doubts about how much improvement there is left to dig up. I'm sure there is some, but how significant would it be, in actual usage?

They could finish getting rid of the rest of that 6.3 - 8 Khz peak, which is is already much improved from the demo version but not gone. It's still audible listening to test tones with Michael Knowles "Bink audio test CD". But I agree, it doesn't seem to affect the sound quality with music or add sibilance, so how significant would taking that out really be in terms of improvement?

Yeah, I don't doubt that improvements could be made, I just question if they would have any practical impact on how much I enjoy them. At this point, I basically spend no time thinking about sound quality or audio gear. I just connect with the music. I'm satisfied. And it's pretty fucking remarkable to say that, after the long journey it's been since stumbling onto HF years ago looking for headphones that wouldn't induce ear itching like the $20 Aiwa cans I owned at the time.

The gain on my Beta was, I believe, 8 but Nate would know for sure. The JH13 sounded great out of the amp but there was too much noise.

I would not suggest using a beta, regardless of gain with the JH13s. While their 119db is not the most sensitive I've seen with IEMs if there's even a hint of background noise in your amp or source you're going to hear it. The idea that he was showing them off driven balanced at RMAF is pretty crazy.

They weren't dead quiet out out of the apache, but the noise was never remotely intrusive with music playing, and wasn't really noticeable between songs unless you were listening for it. It was enough that I wouldn't keep the thing on my desk or sidetable for that purpose, as fantastic as it sounded.

In any case, I think a balanced IEM amp is in order.

I forget, has anyone tried these things with a B22?

Yes, I use mine with my B22. Despite the apparent amp overkill, they pair extremely well together. With the gain reduced to listening levels, there's no more audible noise than what I get with my Pico. The B22 gives the JH-13s a very neutral, impactful sound with a surprisingly deep soundstage.

My B22's builder, Dreadhead's buddy, deserves much credit for getting such a low noise floor.