Ye Macce Threade

Has anyone here used Winclone before?  I'm thinking of using it to migrate my Boot Camp partition to a new SSD for my laptop.  I'm trying to avoid the hassle of putting Superdrive back in (it's been replaced with a hard drive) just to install Win 7 again via Boot Camp, only to take it out right after put back in my second hard drive.

Has anyone here used Winclone before?  I'm thinking of using it to migrate my Boot Camp partition to a new SSD for my laptop.  I'm trying to avoid the hassle of putting Superdrive back in (it's been replaced with a hard drive) just to install Win 7 again via Boot Camp, only to take it out right after put back in my second hard drive.

I've used Winclone for that and it works well.

Does a Thunderbolt dock also provide power/charging to the macbook through the TB cable? or maybe there is a TB dock that has a combo TB/MagSafe cable and eliminates the need for the apple power brick?

The Apple Thunderbolt Displays have a combo TB/MagSafe cable that's used to connect the display and charge the Macbook. I haven't seen a TB dock that has this yet.  As far as I know, Macbooks cannot be charged via the TB ports.

https://www.apple.com/displays/images/overview_hero4.jpg

Edited by chiguy

I just read Wikipedia's page on Thunderbolt which includes the power specs.  The interface is only capable of 18V of bus power at a max current of 550 mA for a total of 10 W maximum.  For comparison, the Apple power bricks are rated at 85 W.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Edited by chiguy

this could potentially be good: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15thunderboltdock.html

it says it can mount to VESA holes on the back of a monitor to keep it hidden. Well that wouldnt work with my monitor since the stand uses those holes..isnt that true of almost any monitor?

Those guys were a long time Mac accelerator vendor/manufacturer. I'm sure they are trying to reinvent themselves, and may be having cash flow problems or something. They used to be well thought of in the Mac world. Dunno on what trust level I would give them now though. Maybe like a late-term Mikhail? Without BGs. :rofl:

I owned a Drobo and hated it, but mine may have been a dud.  For my next NAS, I'm tempted to go for the Synology 1813+.  This is more your area than mine, Jacob -- why the Drobo love?  I had the impression (informed by confirmation bias, no doubt) that Drobo was not beloved by professionals.

Tyler, from what I have read drobo seems to have improved with each new model.  The 5N is supposedly much better than the older Drobo FS.  I'm pretty happy with mine, and the speed is pretty good.  I have PLEX loaded and running fine, so I can access all my ripped DVD's and CD's from anywhere. 

One complaint is that if I'm logged into into the drobo dashboard as Admin on the iMac I can't always log in as Admin on the Macbook Pro.  But other times when I load the drobo dashboard on the macbook Pro again on another day I'll find that I'm already logged in as Admin.

My second complaint is that I'm having some issues with configuring FireFly to serve as an iTunes shared library, because I can't configure it via web browser on port 3689.  I really need to get a uPNP or DLNA server up and running on this.  Any suggestions?

post-905-0-28892200-1396302873_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My Microsoft Arc Mouse is dying, so i went out in search of a mouse today and bought a few...being left-handed the options are limited for comfortable mice.

Apple Magic Mouse - 

apple-magic-mouse-1-r3media-540x363.jpg

Horribly uncomfortable, it's almost flat so your fingers have to drag across the desk with the mouse if you don't want to hold your hand in an unsupported arch. Within 2 minutes I had discovered a flaw - you can't right-click unless you also lift your left finger off the mouse. Thanks, Steve Jobs, for insisting on only 1 button. You also have to click rather far to the right for it to register as a right-click. Just being right of center isn't enough. Again Apple is assuming people just want to mash a single button. The swipe gestures are nice, but more suited to a track pad. This is my 2nd time writing this post because I lost it with an accidental browser swipe. The scrolling is nice, but the iOS style deceleration is annoying. The mouse also glides horribly and would need to be modified. A quick search shows its pretty common for people to put felt or teflon strips on the bottom of it. This one is definitely being returned.

Apple Magic Trackpad - 

apple_magic_trackpad_11.jpg

I didn't buy this one, just tried it in the store, as there's no way a trackpad is suited for me for things like PCB layout or Photoshop. Accidental gestures are an issue with it as well. I could see having both a Magic Trackpad and a mouse at the same time and using the Trackpad in a web browser or flicking between photos or albums.

Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition - 

pm-arc-touch-mouse-surface-edition.jpg

This one is bluetooth so no USB dongle. It's extremely lightweight and glides easily. It's fairly comfortable, but has lost some of the ergonomics of the original mechanical Arc Mouse. In order to be most comfortable, I have to set my hand back a little, which results in my fingers only coming about halfway down the left/right click buttons. This doesn't work very well as the click buttons like to be pressed past the tips of my fingers. Several times I've tried to click only to find I'm not far enough down the mouse. There's a pretty small sweet spot and the switches don't feel great, I doubt they will last very long. Not like the old days where you could click a million times on a mouse. The touch scroll is OK, but isn't perfect. Would be nice if it was a little wider. There is no left/right functionality of it at least not on a Mac. It also makes a really annoying sound when you scroll, so that you know that you're scrolling, and this can't be disabled on a Mac. I would have to take apart the mouse and find the buzzer to disable. Still not sure how I feel about this mouse..

Microsoft Arc Mouse -

193298-microsoft-arc-mouse-angle.jpg

My current mouse, no store had it for sale, so I just ordered a replacement off Amazon. Previously the scroll wheel was unreliable, maybe Microsoft has since fixed that problem. Wish it didnt need a USB dongle. Is very comfortable and I'll probably just stick with this and stock up on replacements while they're still available

Logitech M525 - 

B005KSAHZU_m310_m525black_comparison_lg.

Also requires a USB dongle. Not sure if this was one I tried in Best Buy. Ordered one off Amazon to try it as well. You're supposed to be able to push the scroll wheel left/right to go back/forward which sounds cool if it works on Mac.

Edited by justin

i dont think i could ever handle holding down a 2-finger touch right-click while dragging an object in .001" increments  ???

I cheat on those, I use one hand for the second finger "right click" and the other hand for the one finger dragging. This improves greatly my precision, but I must recognize I don't do anything as delicate as PCB design (with the computer).