Ye Macce Threade

Just a quick heads up...

There appears to be an issue with the late model iMacs delivering audio through USB.  I just spent several hours on the support line with Apple and have been reading about the issue for a few days.  Apple doesn't have a root cause yet, but they are acknowledging something is up.

Symptoms:

A "clicking" or "popping" sound.  It's not hard to spot/hear.  

It happens with any audio out and does not appear to be dependent on the software.  I had the issue with anything from Pure Music to iTunes and YouTube...

What I read on the support forums:

- It appears to be an issue with very late model iMac's (like in the last 38 days) WITH the fusion drives.  

- Some guys have sent their unit back for replacement and had the same issue.  When they swapped for a replacement with a traditional hard drive the issue seems to go away.

I don't want to give up on the Fusion Drive, it's pretty slick, but I am close to my 14 day return window so I need to decide to roll the dice and wait for a fix or consider going back to a traditional drive.

Here are a few links discussing the issue... there are more out there.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23352452#23352452

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/877537-potential-audio-problem-new-imacs.html

I have not.  Honestly I was not sure I could do that!  

A few guys reported a work around by placing their OS on an external drive/flash drive, so maybe this is a way ahead... I'll do some sniffing around.

This seems to be a set of directions a lot of folks are following to split the drive: http://www.macworld.com/article/2015664/how-to-split-up-a-fusion-drive.html

I'm assuming the only real downside is that I'd no longer have the automatic optimization of what's on the SSD?  Can I go back once I split?

Thanks!

Haj, I have a Memorex External USB 3.0 writer, unused; it's yours if you want it, PM me.  I had two, thought I'd use both, but haven't.  Mine works fine, though I don't use it daily.....

Also, Ashampoo has a free studio app that supports Blu-Ray burning; not sure of movie playing, but I'm sure there are some out there.  I use the free version at work, some ads but easy to ignore.

Current model or last years and which size (thus vid card)? Quick search seems possible in all between either two Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters (though thunderbolt ports) or one and HDMI (resolution options different there). And if you use internal display three... extended or mirror. Or get ambitious and use internal and all three ports and get four displays.

Edited by blessingx

The retina-book can definitely do it. You just need the proper display adapters. If your display takes HDMI just plug one of them into the HDMI port on the retina-book and get one of these: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA824ZM/A/belkin-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter?fnode=53.

If your displays only take D-DVI then get two of these. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter?fnode=53

I use one of the D-DVI adapters to plug my retina-book into a 30" Korean Monitor at work. It's expensive, but it does the trick. See below.

post-3084-0-00591600-1384997139_thumb.jp

Current model or last years and which size (thus vid card)? Quick search seems possible in all between either two Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters (though thunderbolt ports) or one and HDMI (resolution options different there). And if you use internal display three... extended or mirror. Or get ambitious and use internal and all three ports and get four displays.

march 2013 model. so, inbetween the first model and the latest release

What Knucks said. It's a 2560x1600 which is plent of pixels for the MS office based workload I use it for. And yes, the 16:10 is a much more visually pleasing experience for office-type workflows. Easily enough to have a doc and spreadsheet open at the same time. If you prop the retina-book up on a stand like I did it makes a great companion monitor. I usually have my email app open to full screen on the retina-book while I work on the 30".

I'd give it a shot with just a 30" and the retina-book and see if that works. I like it a lot more than doing two 27"ers.

All the 30" monitors are going to be 16:10 aspect at 2560x1600 and matte(!) which is why I chose on of those over the 27" apple manufactured display. Unless you need the extra inputs/features a "name brand" manufacturer like dell includes on their 30"ers you can save 40% or so by going Korean.

Edited by TMoney