Audio-gd Phoenix

Edwood

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hoped that it somehow removed annoying Head-Fiers, but alas it's not so.

Since there is no freaking manual I am hazy on it's use. It allows programing of the Volume style, one setting is 70 steps the other is 99, these two setting may have different ramps. The debug switch also allows the Volume memory to be turned on and off. So basically it's used for programing.

Too freaking slow, as usual.

Edited by Yikes
Yawn

Thanks Grahame and Yikes.

iPod*J isn't happy.

He is now, Ric:

Ok, well I want to do much more listening than just 20 minutes but here's my initial impressions:

. . . .

- Well worth every penny I paid for this amp. You won't find this level of sound quality in a headphone amp anywhere close to this price.

:palm:

Ipod*J will end up loving it. He's a habitual Fanboy. He’ll complain for a while (Like he did with the HD-800’s) and then ultimately he’ll gush non-stop about how nothing else even approaches it. He’s a born Fanboy. Not that I feel strongly about it. There are two major Audio-gd Fanboys, and I think one of them comes here, and I've already called him a Fanboy over there.

The Noise issue that I had went away once the amp fully warmed up. I just posted some preliminary thoughts over there. I’m pretty much only listening as a preamp and at this point it doesn’t suck

I hate to quote myself but, I told you.

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - View Single Post - Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.

Curse you Monkey! I'm too slow again

Edited by Yikes
Slowpoke

The spelling errors on the back laser etching doesn't bother me too much.

The over use of tape labels is not an issue for me. My favorite sticker removal scheme is Goo Be Gone (not Goof Off, as it can damage plastics). Then follow up with alcohol.

The sharpie cover up of scratches is completely unacceptable.

The heat concerns me as well, as there is no real substantial heatsinking, only the thick aluminum panels. Which leads to undesirable effect like hot knobs. (RSA Raptor, anyone?) It sounds like the Phoenix could really be living up to it's name.

Overall off to a bit of a shakey start. Not a slam dunk IMO. But then again, what should one expect for an amp that costs 1/2-1/3 of the competition?

I think I might be firing up my soldering station sooner than later and finishing up that Balanced Gilmore Reference I've been putting off for 4 years now.

-Ed

Well, I pm'ed les to see if he wanted to get together for a mini meet. I would like to hear this amp, and he lives really close. So far, no response, but between me calling him a crank over there (I actually like the guy), and his being banned from here (I missed that one somehow), I wouldn't blame him for thinking it wasn't a good idea.

I'm sorry, I haven't been around here much in the last couple of years, but how in the F do you get banned here?

Come up to NJ next month. I'll be bringing mine there. It should be a good meet.

check out their posts and see for yourself :)

try this Google Search:

"offline." "banned." site:head-case.org

I like Les. He's cranky, nudgey, obsessive, and vocal, but I'd take 10 of him over half the people posting over there daily. Maybe if I said we could go to the shooting range, he might be more interested in the mini-meet. He has some nice guns, minus the Glock .40. I think he's ignoring me.