Upgrading DAC or buy new phone - need advise

forbigger

Ok folks, I've been lurking for the past 2 weeks trying to find presumably better DAC for my current setup which is : Notebook --> Pico DAC-->WA6 or Gilmore Lite -->MS1/HF2/701/ESW9. I have been looking hard at the following:

1. Benchmark Dac1

2. Buffalo - used

3. Grace M902 - out of budget but I try to find used

4. Gamma 2 - used

5. Lavry DA11

My road map in the distant future is to upgrade to balanced so I thought I would like to start with DAC first. I understand when I'm ready to upgrade to balance I would have to get rid/recable of almost all my current headphone/amp.

On the other hand, I'm also looking hard at ATH W5000. So should I use the cash I have now ~1k to buy this phone or concentrate to achieve my distant objective (going balanced) ? Note that I wont be buying a CD transport since I like to listen to my songs from notebook.

As usual, any advise will be appreciated. And also to Admin - why did my WTB thread for Buffalo was deleted? Have I done anything wrong?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like tkam's taste in DACs, so I say go with the Neko if you feel compelled to upgrade. But I'd be interested in what you are seeking from your upgraded source. Also, I generally believe in buying all used DACs on the market.

FIFY. To the OP, there's no use in trying to buy used. Dinny will always beat you to it.

thanks for the responses. isnt the neko only do balance and didnt have usb input? i'm looking for a dac that can do both balance and single ended and usb. guess i have to pass......

As for the reason for me to upgrade from pico is that im looking for a better dac (must admit that its going to be hard) and the one with more input. And for when that i will be going balance, i dont see this in the immediate future but likes to have the options for it........

Probably not enough inputs for OP w/r/t the Ayre. I wish that thing had more inputs.

FWIW, I am liking the Bryston BDA-1. It has inputs aplenty, including USB. And while the USB is reported to be nothing to write home about (I have not yet tried it), it is reportedly upgradeable.

As for my avatar, that's a big stag in the background. Deer love audio equipment.

thanks for the responses. isnt the neko only do balance and didnt have usb input? i'm looking for a dac that can do both balance and single ended and usb. guess i have to pass......

As for the reason for me to upgrade from pico is that im looking for a better dac (must admit that its going to be hard) and the one with more input. And for when that i will be going balance, i dont see this in the immediate future but likes to have the options for it........

Have you considered a USB transport so that you can widen your horizons a little bit? There are a few ~$100 options out there that would solve your entire input dilemma (M-audio, Emu, and Musiland make a few). Also, XLR to RCA cables can be bought at a reasonable price until your ready to switch to balanced.