SACD -- Is it worth it in a headphone rig?

The Monkey

I'm selling my NAD redbook player, but have been interested in one of the Oppo universals for a while just to give SACD a shot. However, I know nothing really about SACD. Is it all hi rez? Will there be a noticeable difference in a two-channel headphone rig? And, perhaps most importantly, do SACD players play nice with standalone DACses?

Educate The Monkey.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the sacd part doesn't play nice with standalone dacses.

The real advantage imho of sacd is you get masters that the studios are at least giving lip service to sound quality. I don't think you'd be satisfied with the results from the oppo, however. A better bet would be a sony ES or denon player that you could later have modded, or a pre-modded unit.

Most SACD players can output redbook CD's as PCM (or the redbook layer from a hybrid SACD) via their digital outputs so they should play fine with most DACs. SACD can be output on some players either using some proprietary connector or more recently HDMI (As DSD). The issue with that has to do with digital content protection and so the receiving DAC has to be able to "handshake" with the transport. Most DACs do not have that ability. Their are a few HT receivers and processors (with built-in DACs) that do have the ability to take the raw DSD stream and use their own (hopefully better) internal DAC for conversion. That's probably confusing as hell but I'm tired.

It also rather depends on what kind of music you're going to be looking for on SACD, Dinny. Rock isn't that well represented in the total catalog so far and they really aren't going to be making many more, barring some miraculous resurrection of the format.

How would one rip SACD to a hard drive?

With some difficulty.

I would suggest looking at whats available already in SACDs, to see if its worth it to you to have the format.

I bought an SACD player primarily for all the new jazz stuff (Analogue Productions) slated to be released, and now have a whopping 8 discs :rolleyes: (well, that and a few misc. others like Mofi Pixies).

Other than jazz or classical there doesn't seem to be much action for SACDs. I'm quite pleased with the SONY ES player though, and it does a fantastic job w/ Redbook too.

Its definitely the best source I've heard under $1500, possibly the best I've heard period.

Possibly.

I like the SACD sound and think it is definitely worth it for headphones. No easy way to rip SACDs (check computeraudiophile.com and elsewhere for painful instructions that don't always work) so you would just store a digital copy of the Redbook layer on your computer. The Sony ES reviews certainly seem to make it a viable alternative, but like Dan I doubt you would enjoy the Oppo for this purpose.

Now, having said all that, I still think you want to get a ULN-2 and cut the crap. Get rid of some of those DACses and focus on hi-rez through that route. Way more versatile and offers even higher resolution. Don't play itsy-bitsy-spider with all these DACses for too long because it is just a waste of time and money (let alone sanity . . . glurg, gollum! ;) ).

My experience is pretty limited on the SACD front, but after picking up a few dozen SACDs on recent Telarc and Fantasy sales (figured even if I resorted to Redbook layer they were a good deal), I bought a used Denon DVD-2900. Obviously, far from the top, but seemed respected for SACD playback (even if PCM converted), well built and mods were a possibility. As testing the layers is easy enough, I ran through most of the discs and have returned to Redbook playback and the option of a decent DAC.

Not going to make overarching comments here (only tried a single player), except maybe to echo Al's comments. Unless you've found titles unavailable elsewhere or great deals on discs as the format seems to fade, the SACD copyright nightmare should be compared with high-res computer audio so close to being widely accepted. And from the answers above, it should be obvious you have more freedom with your favorite hobby - DACs.

Plus since we'll all be using JH13s soon...

I love SACD's, have become totally addicted to the format, and listen primarily on headphones. It is worth it to me. I am sure that not everyone can hear the difference, and would be surprised if one could tell the difference in a DBT (especially against the sort of DACs that Dinny has heard/is used to), but that's because the single greatest advantage I find to listening to SACD is that I find it less fatiguing, which doesn't DBT well.

The only way you can find out if it's for you is to try it. But I'll echo Aardvark Samich's comments -- make sure there's enough out there for it to be worthwhile to you. Some of the back catalog is rather hard to get ahold of. Are you into classical? Then you should have no problems, depending on whether or not you're into the mainstream stuff or the esoterica. (And even if you're into esoteric stuff, just check, it's rather easy -- e.g. search for 'arvo', search for 'dashow'.) Jazz is better represented than pop/rock, but there's some pop/rock out there...as long as you're into Depeche Mode, Genesis, Deep Purple and the Allman Brothers, and less into Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull.

And one doesn't rip SACD to one's hard drive entirely in the digital realm, that I know of. Grawk's is the only solution of which I am aware.

I think you need a fairly good output stage on your SACD player to really show you the sonic benefits of the higher resolution that SACD brings to the table. Of course the source material quality is a big factor as well.

Players with ho-hum output stages like the Denon 2900 very well could leave someone with the impression that there are no substantial differences between the redbook and SACD layers.

I like the format and have enjoyed listening on both headphones and speakers. Very limited pop/rock selection, but much wider selection in jazz and classical.

Just my 2 cents.

not super impressed with SACD from a Jazz/Rock standpoint when I had the exemplar modded 2900. I actually preferred the redbook layer of many of my dual layer discs, but I may be in the minority . Now DVD-a was a hit with me but unfortunately that format received even less support than the pitiful support SACD received.

Personally investing in SACD, DVD-a or even high end redbook is throwing money into a dead or dying format. I can see a high end redbook player over a multi player but unless you really love Classical then SACD is a resource drain that could be spent investing in computer audio playback which is absolutely the future of standard and hi-rez.

In other words just buy the Metric Halo unit already Dinny

I quite agree with John. I've listened -while not in my own system all of them- to a few "good enough" SACD players, and never was impressed, there was always some faked feeling which kept me away from getting into the format.

I'm afraid the future, like it or not, is in PC audio, downloads, streaming and all that, so a DAC which is capable to take maximum profit from such source would be my choice. SACD is a dead horse, as much as DVD-A, Dual Disc, minidisc and probably RBCD will be soon.

First, X2 what Al and numbs have stated.

Now assuming you will totally ignore them for now, ;) and the amount of SACD music available out there is worth it for you, you might take a look again back at PS Audios PWT/Dac combo which will play all formats and eventually AIFF. When the PS Audio Bridge is finally released then you can output all your RB, SACD, and ripped CD collections bit perfectly 24 bit/192 (as I recall) from your computer to your ULN-2 and be set with room to spare on your rack because you sold off all those superflous dacses.............

First, X2 what Al and numbs have stated.

Now assuming you will totally ignore them for now, ;) and the amount of SACD music available out there is worth it for you, you might take a look again back at PS Audios PWT/Dac combo which will play all formats and eventually AIFF. When the PS Audio Bridge is finally released then you can output all your RB, SACD, and ripped CD collections bit perfectly 24 bit/192 (as I recall) from your computer to your ULN-2 and be set with room to spare on your rack because you sold off all those superflous dacses.............

First of all, I cannot believe you are recommending products loaded with inferior sigma-delta DACses. For shame. O0

Secondly, why from the PW into the ULN-2? Not clear.

Thirdish, the current Sony ES 7000(?) stated that it can output the DSD through e-Link/HDMI but I have not investigated that claim.